Web Delivery from FCP 5.1.2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video

Old January 26th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Web Delivery from FCP 5.1.2

I have a question,

I have some HDV footage - 3-5 minute clips of songs. I want to post them to the web for viewing on my site. What I have done so far was to set in/out points on a long session to break out an individual song. I then exported to quicktime movie, self contained. Then I imported that song into compressor and set up to compress it to H.264, 300 Kbps, 16x9. That went relatively fast. The results are at web.mac.com/yasgur. The interlacing is extremely noticeable. I tried changing my frame settings in compressor to the "best" for deinterlacing and after about an hour of rendering, my MBPro said there was 11 hours to go. Obviously these setting are too high.

Can anyone explain a workflow that has a reasonable render time that doesn't look so interlaced with the slightest movements?

Someone suggested about when you keep things SD, to convert to photo jpg to deinterlace.

Any comments for the best final quality from HDV source?

Jeff
Jeff Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Mack
I have a question,

I have some HDV footage - 3-5 minute clips of songs. I want to post them to the web for viewing on my site. What I have done so far was to set in/out points on a long session to break out an individual song. I then exported to quicktime movie, self contained. Then I imported that song into compressor and set up to compress it to H.264, 300 Kbps, 16x9. That went relatively fast. The results are at web.mac.com/yasgur. The interlacing is extremely noticeable. I tried changing my frame settings in compressor to the "best" for deinterlacing and after about an hour of rendering, my MBPro said there was 11 hours to go. Obviously these setting are too high.

Can anyone explain a workflow that has a reasonable render time that doesn't look so interlaced with the slightest movements?

Someone suggested about when you keep things SD, to convert to photo jpg to deinterlace.

Any comments for the best final quality from HDV source?

Jeff

It would be useful to know what sort of HDV you shot with but it sounds like Sony or Canon. In FCP, take a short section of the piece (with lots of movement), deinterlace it within FCP and then export that short section from within FCP thru Compressor using the stock QuickTime 7 h.264 settings. It should improve. I've only worked with progressive HDV footage and that's always exported well to h.264.
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #3
Jason Cook

similar problem

Hi Jeff,

I'm facing a similar visible-interlace problem with my videos, explained in detail a few posts down. I've found that the only way I can get a good picture from my Sony HDV footage is by compressing it as one of the presets in iMovie -- the 720x486 NTSC 16:9 preset. Unfortunately, this means that the movie is squished vertically if viewed in a browser (but looks great if played via standalone QT player).

Below is an example -- in my case, the bad interlacing version on the right is a movie I exported from iMovie as Apple Intermediate Codec (lossless from DV, AFAIK), then used the 'Better' deinterlace setting in Frame Controls in Compressor (which took hours), with a 853x480 geometry manually specified. The better-looking version on the left comes direct from iMovie and took just minutes.

http://homepage.mac.com/jasonacook/d..._interlace.jpg

So: I'm also stumped, but if you can figure out a solution, please share!

thanks
Jason

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video