best flash software... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old January 27th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

best flash software...

whats the best flash encoder out there right now for my website. I have macromedia studio 8 which came with the flash encoder utility. however the max setting is 700mbs. however I dont feel like my quality is as up to par as it should be. maybe there's some more settings i can use in the flash encoder to bet better quality? or is there another encoder in the market that will give me better quality? thanks
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Mark,

Stills or frame grabs would help illustrate what you mean by quality not being up to par...

Without knowing exactly what the problem is, I can tell you that for my money, the Flash 8 Video Encoder beats anything out there. Even with the medium 400kbps (not mbps) setting, I get great looking videos that are much better than any QuickTime or Windows Media I have seen at the same resolution- and they are much smaller files.

I use the On2 VP6 Codec and give the encoder the best quality source video possible to start with. I'm usually re-sizing to 320x240 or so for web delivery.
Old January 27th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #3
Major Player

I would think that another company would have trouble beating Macromedia at their own game but I use Sorensen squeeze. I like the extra options it offers me over Premiere's encoder such as batch jobs.

Last edited by Josh Chesarek; January 27th, 2007 at 08:35 PM.
Josh Chesarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Mark,

If you are wanting to create Flash videos, Camtasia makes a great software product that was made to create videos (and Flash) from computer screen captures but does a great job of also making Flash from videos.

Here is a link to videos on my Web site produced using Camtasia:

http://www.advancedmedialab.com/Cinematography.html

Bandwidth on the Web will not quite support full size video, at full frame rates. These were done using 15 FPS and are reduced in size, but the image quality is fairly good.

BTW, I develop Flash applications on a regular basis and prefer using Camtasia for Flash video.
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Looks better than I expected.

Jesse,
I'm referring to the Camtasia clips...NOT your camera work.

In "The Drive" I can even make out the license plates on the cars, but for some (e.g. "Pelicans at Alcatraz") no audio played. Might that be due to characterisitcs during recording/"production", or maybe my computer settings?

Either way, the Camtasia shots looked better than I expected. Was curious, as potential clients have been mentioning it, but no one's specifically asked for it yet. I haven't done ANY web delivery yet, and was wondering what to buy to get started in that...seems like a bandwagon I need to get on.

I run Adobe CreativeSuite/Production Editon under XP Pro on Dual Opterons at 2.21 MHz w/2 GB RAM, though I watched your clips on a Dell Pavilion 1.8 MHz machine. (I have Flash 8 but have never used it yet...still learning it) Do I need to know or be concerned about anything (conflicts, or maybe installation problems) before I buy?

Lastly, how would you rate Camtasia for ease of use?

Thanks.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Dennis,

The "Pelicans" and some of the other videos have no audio.

I have had no conflicts between Camtasia and anyother software, in fact, the Camtasia codecs are now available in Vegas.

The learning curve for Camtasia is extremely short, yet it is extemely flexible. Camtasia will make you a pro at Web delivery overnight, and Camtasia is great for what it was originally designed for, making movies from computer screen captures.

Hope this helps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Distribution Center > Flash / Web Video