Aerial Footage with GH1 (On My Hang Glider) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old October 5th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Tourist

Aerial Footage with GH1 (On My Hang Glider)

Hi guys

Thought you may enjoy the GH1 short I made last week.

A Marshall Evening *redux on Vimeo

This camera is well suited for something like this as weight is very important. Hanging weight out in front of or behind an aircraft can cause it to not fly right so the heavier the camera, the more tricky something like this can be. I would love to use a 5Dmk2 or 7D but the much lighter weight of the GH1 makes it a winner here.
David Aldrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #2
Major Player

Really cool footage! Welcome to dvinfo. I checked out some of your footage a month or so ago when I was trying to decide if I wanted to buy the camera(I did). Didn't your camera originally have a problem with a vertical band of color...also how did you mount the camera to your glider?
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Tourist

Hi Eric

Glad you like it.

Yes my camera had a bad sensor (see GH1 @ The Shop & Landing Zone on Vimeo) I sent it in and Panasonic repaired it.

I built a camera boom / mount for this purpose a while ago. Its basically just a aluminum tube with an adjustable camera mount on the end.
Old October 16th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

yo...this is really incredible...the gliding as well as the footage. I was just skimming forums for video taken with the GH1, this is my favorite so far!!...I went to visit my brother in San Diego a couple years ago...we went and surfed a spot called blacks beach, but it's right down the cliff from a Glide Port...I remember watching the gliders thinking how bad@ss that must be..def something I wanna try!

as far as the GH1 goes...what is your editing workflow?? it only shoots 24fps?? does pulldown need to be removed?..just wondering, currently shooting with an HV30, but thinking of switching.
Brendan Donohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #5
Tourist

Hey thanks Brendan

Yeah, you were at Torrey Pines, absolutely gorgeous place to fly. Blacks Beach down below is also a nude beach, but don't get too excited as its mostly old dudes. ha

As for my work flow -

I use Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 on a PC. Just drag and drop the .mts files off the SDHC card onto my hard drive, then into the Premiere project. This video was shot at 60 fps so no pulldown removal was requires, but the 24p files do. However I just drop those on a 24p time line in Premiere and it looks good to me. Somewhere I read that CS4 removes the pulldown automatically. Not sure if that's true but it definitely does deinterlace.
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

cool thanks for the clarification...yeah man you are exactly right about Blacks Beach...we hiked thru that Nude portion of the beach to get to this surf spot..it was pretty awkward..there were maybe one or two mildy attractive women there that day..haha..the rest were older dudes just lettin it all hang out!!hahaa
Brendan Donohue is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras