Draganflyer X8: The Dreamboat UAV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Draganflyer X8: The Dreamboat UAV

This is pretty cool!

Quote:
What is the Draganflyer X8?

Rendering of Draganflyer X8 The Draganflyer X8 helicopter is a miniature aircraft for commercial/industrial aerial video and photography. The unique design utilizes eight main horizontal rotor blades and allows the Draganflyer X8 helicopter to hover efficiently and maneuver rapidly using differential thrust. Eight efficient, electric motors allow the Draganflyer X8 to carry heavier and more advanced payloads while providing more safety features than ever before.
Draganflyer X8 Eight Rotor UAV Helicopter Aerial Video Platform
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #2
Major Player

It is pretty cool. It also costs more than my car. Sigh...
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Do they have one to carry an iPhone too? If not, they should hop on that bandwagon.

While cool, I think the whole craze behind DSLRs that shoot video is the shallow DOF. Yet most of these cameras don't have good auto-focus, which makes for a lot of fuzzy photos when un-manned. (I don't see anything about follow focus.)

These V-DSLRs can also be pretty bad when it comes to the CMOS skew / jello. Though I still have a bitter taste in my mouth after owning a HD10U, JVC's GY-HM100U is probably one of the ideal cameras to put onto a little craft like this.

CCD, 35Mbps, record-until the card is full record time & easy focusing would be the selling points that I think would make for a better choice to put the HM100 on a UAV than a DSLR.

(Now if you're shooting stills, it is an entirely different story.)
Old August 24th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Pretty cool? It is fantastic! How much fun would that be? It's like a crane on steroids - that is some big huge dollar looking shots..... I'm sure it is still better to hire a helicopter and take up your Arri Alexa, but wow! What a great thing!
Nathanael Iversen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:22 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
It is pretty cool. It also costs more than my car. Sigh...
If you are not the military or a law enforcement agency so your budget is more modest then the Mikrokopter is worth a look. It uses the same principle of multiple rotors & clever software (Open Source in this case) to keep the machine flying level & stable. It comes in various configurations & can lift over 1kg (2.2lbs) so can carry a decent size camera. MikroKopter - Wiki: MikroKopter.de

You can get everything from a kit of parts where you solder the 'brain' yourself right up to a fully assembled system for the equivalent of about $2300 to which you just need to add a R/C transmitter & batteries
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras