Any experience with R/C aerial shooting? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old January 10th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Any experience with R/C aerial shooting?

UPDATE: After some more digging around, I found a guy who has put together a nice how-to video with what he considers to be must-have mods to the AR Drone for aerial videography---mods which aren't expensive, by the way. The most critical mod (which makes complete sense to me) is one that allows the AR Drone to be flown using a traditional RC transmitter (much more/better control).

Check it out:

Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #32
Regular Crew

For those who may have missed it...
Flying People in New York City - YouTube
Fun!
Old February 14th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Last year I was experimenting with a small single-rotor helicopter that wasn't designed to carry a load. To get a decent-looking image, something more than a GoPro or Replay needs to be taken aloft. I'm planning to use my Canon Vixia.

Based on the weight of that camera, along with a target for flight duration, I came up with some basic specifications for motors, props, battery, etc.

Since then I built and have been testing a prototype multi-rotor. Here's a "blog" of what I've been doing for the past couple of months.

Building my first quadcopter. From scratch. - OpenPilot Forums

Despite all the motors and props being nicely balanced there was still a problem with vibrations. Might be due to phase amplification -- each motor contributing a bit of vibration, and the combination of all four motors adding up. So I made vibration isolators for the motors and have to see how they perform.

Motor mounts with vibration isolation - OpenPilot Forums

I just got the gimbal but won't install it until I know the quad copter flies properly now that I've built motor mounts intended to reduce vibration levels. And before the gimbal can be installed, a new center plate has to be made with the necessary mounting points.

For what it's worth, it would be a good idea to seriously consider a multi-rotor with 6 props. There have been a few reports that a hexacopter can still fly with one motor out.

Coptercontrol Doing a FANTASTIC job flying a hexacopter missing a motor - OpenPilot Forums
Old February 21st, 2012, 03:40 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Interesting Dean! I'll check out your blog. In the meantime, take a look at the latest demo video posted here:
Quadcopters for aerial video and photography | Xpro Heli
These guys have a vibration dampening system they've built into their frame, and the results are impressive---the best I've seen, and they use a 4-rotor platform...
XP2 Frame - Aerial Video Quadcopter | Xpro Heli

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one of these systems! Another recommendation I'm going to pursue is getting a good flight simulator (Phoenix v3.0 has a quad-copter) along with an actual dual-joystick transmitter to practice flying virtually---I've heard this makes a BIG difference.

Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 06:35 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Hi Scott...

Interesting design. A fast build, too.

Many of the multirotor designs are undersized for what I wanted. And the ones that were of the right size were overpriced and not exactly what I wanted.

After I played around with a single-rotor 450-sized helicopter with a GoPro and a Replay 1080XD, I decided I wanted to put a better camera aboard the copter, A Canon Vixia. Everything had to be scaled up.

A number of things had to be figured out simultaneously: What it would take to lift a one-pound camera for about 10 minutes, how much power that would take, how large a battery was needed and how the battery weight would affect performance.

I knew I wanted something that operated on higher voltage in order to put less demand on the wire gauge needed to power the motors. Others have reported that higher voltage meant everything ran cooler. Less heat meant less energy wasted and more efficiency. The higher voltage (22v instead of 11v) eliminated a lot of possible motor choices.

There was only one line of motors that provided extensive test data (Cobra Systems), with actual measured values for thrust, power consumption, etc. As I got closer to estimating what the total weight would be -- including the battery which weighs more than the camera -- I was able to narrow down the list.

Knowing which motors to use led to the selection of a particular prop, and with that I could figure out how large to make the airframe.

It's all prototype at first. The arms and landing gear were re-designed. And now that I have a gimbal I can re-design the center plate. I might also make a different power distribution setup.

For vibration reduction the motors each have isolation mounts, using isolators designed by 3M. Another multi-rotor pilot said he's tried everything from foam to Sorbothane and gels, and the 3M E.A.R. isolators have given the best results. From my initial tests, they seem to work very well. There's a lot less vibrations being transmitted into the airframe, and the remaining vibration levels -- which appear to be very low -- can be easily eliminated by the camera gimbal's isolation mounts.

Here's a video showing the test results with a hard-mounted camera. Before and after the motor isolation mounts were installed: Vibration mount test - YouTube
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:55 PM   #36
Major Player

Hey Scott - Did you get the XP2? This is the latest: XP2 RC Aerial Video Quadcopter | Xpro Heli

Have we spoken already? I'm the guy that made the drone video, and I also own an XP2 - and have made most of the XP2 videos out there. I frickin' love that thing! It can carry an NEX-5n too for some really sweet 1080p60 footage. That's much better for stabilizing in post than the Hero2.

This is the most recent vid I put up:

Old June 14th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #37
New Boot

Hey Guys,

You have a lot of great information that I have been reading over! It is certainly appreciated and I now would like to ask for more of your input...I've seen several people begin using GoPro cameras mounted on a 450 heli. It's kinda ironic that I don't know much about R/C helis even though I grew up around real choppers most of my childhood. My father was a pilot and technician but even though I've helped him assemble real helis together growing up, I never really had that much interest in any of it beyond that.

Anyway, I just wanted to get your thoughts and perhaps suggestions on a fairly inexpensive RC heli so can purchase and start getting a feel for the flight and then eventually mount a GoPro or similar type camera to shoot ariel footage for my final senior project. Suggestions, ideas and general comments on this subject are greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Scott Warren
Scott Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #38
New Boot

ha ha, nevermind...you guys have already posted some great stuff! Thanks!
Scott Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Scott... if you're interested in buying a complete setup I'm looking at selling my T-Rex 450 which is ready to fly and is set up to use a Replay 1080XD.

I just have to set the "governor" to get the proper RPMs and do a final test flight.

This also has a Skookum Robotics SK-720 stabilizer system in it. If things go a little off and you're trying to get back under control, it's a simple matter of letting go of the right stick and increasing throttle. It will automatically level itself and the increased power you apply will make it climb out, away from harm.

It also has a small video camera in the front with a 900 MHz transmitter to provide a pilot's eye view.

Aloha,
Dean.
Old June 14th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #40
Major Player

Here's my most recent series of aerial vids from a Kinetic Sculpture race in the Eureka Ca area. I used my XP2, but it's not cheap. It carries a GoPro with no "jello" the wobbly image you get from most quads. The secret is this gel they put between the frame and the landing gear/camera mount. It can also carry a Sony NEX-5n, which has DSLR quality, but in a very light package.

Get an XP2 From XPro Heli Here: ‪‪http://xproheli.com/affiliate/25/qua...‬‬
Old April 27th, 2013, 07:02 PM   #41
Tourist

Hi
What are your thoughts on this Quad...
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/glyder-600...set-p-856.html
I've looked at a few different quads on the net, this seems to be the most stable at the cheapest price.
Eric McLean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras