Mount for my AR Drone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old December 3rd, 2011, 10:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Mount for my AR Drone

After watching Chad's video I ordered the mount from Etfett.net.

After a couple of weeks I emailed about the delivery date. It appears that these aren't really manufactured but are a hobby with the fellow and he gets to them when he gets to them....so I canceled my order and Chad just went down two notches in credibility.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Mount for my AR Drone

Interesting. I ordered one at the end of November but haven't gotten communication since, no clue when I might get it. Do you know if there are any other sources for these types of mounts?
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Not that I know of Keith.
I just made one myself for my Replay. Other than a battery mount, I have no idea how to mount a GoPro.

The Replay was simple.
Old December 5th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Trustee

If you haven't seen these extensive forums yet, check the whole site out starting with the Aerial Photography section:

Aerial Photography - RC Groups
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Amazingly given all the other add-ons available for the GoPro & the AR.Drone there is apparently no other source of mounts that position the GoPro under the drone & give a clear shot without the rotors. I mailed Daniel (Etfett.net) & suggested that he upload his designs & set up a shop on Shapeways so that they do the manufacture & ship the mounts to customers for him. Their prices are very reasonable. There is already a really ingenious 3-way gimbal mount for a GoPro available for larger flying machines Shapeways | blog: 3D Printed 3-axis Camera Gimbal for GoPro
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Here's what an under camera view looks like after you crack one of the cross arms.

Old December 14th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Don, check this guy out has the most advanced mounts i know of.
PhotoShip One - Aerial Photography - Aerial Video Products - Mikrokopter - Law Enforecement Drones - SUAS - Gimbal - RC Camera Mount
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Ian!

I could have sworn you were based in Hawaii.
Goes to show, never assume.
Old December 15th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Major Player

Nah ''stralia mate.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

There seems to be many, many irate buyers worldwide who are waiting for orders ffrom 'ETFETT' and some forums are actually urging people NOT to order any more as the guy seems totally unreliable!!

Seriously the mount doesn't look that complicated to make anyway.

What about using foam board?? That's the stuff with foam core and paper either side..I use it for my stedicam LCD hood and it's feather light.... I'm sure you could make a simple mount as well as the essential front piece so the camera doesn't hit the ground first when you land.

Now it seems like you can use almost any mount...this guy in the link below has carved out a chunk of packing foam and got the camera top mounted BUT high enough so the rotors are not in the picture....despite it's size he does fly it too!!!!

Worth a look!!!

AR.Drone with GoPro HD Hero and custom GoPro mount for a "rotor free" movie experience - YouTube
Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Sorry to butt in as a newb, but after messing around with cable cams, a quadkopter (expensive!) or ARdrone seems infinitely preferable. But is the ARdrone powerful enough to lift an Hero2 and housing? Any ideas on the range? Taking a mikrokopter (even the smallest one) trekking seems a bit excessive..and the ARdrone has? built in PFV function as far as I can tell..Is it possible to take several batteries/switch batteries?

thanks ;) - don't even think the ARdrone is available here in Norway..(mikrokopter 4 blade yes for around 3000 bucks..!).
Arne Pursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Pursell View Post
Sorry to butt in as a newb, but after messing around with cable cams, a quadkopter (expensive!) or ARdrone seems infinitely preferable. But is the ARdrone powerful enough to lift an Hero2 and housing? Any ideas on the range? Taking a mikrokopter (even the smallest one) trekking seems a bit excessive..and the ARdrone has? built in PFV function as far as I can tell..Is it possible to take several batteries/switch batteries?

thanks ;) - don't even think the ARdrone is available here in Norway..(mikrokopter 4 blade yes for around 3000 bucks..!).
The AR.Drone is available worldwide from Apple (even in Norway:-) Parrot AR.Drone - Apple Store (Norge)

The AR.Drone can lift a GoPro without the housing but it's struggling a little. I suspect that adding the housing would be just too much weight.

A fully charged battery gives about 10-15 minutes of flight time.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Guys
Now it seems like you can use almost any mount...this guy in the link below has carved out a chunk of packing foam and got the camera top mounted BUT high enough so the rotors are not in the picture....despite it's size he does fly it too!!!!

Worth a look!!!

AR.Drone with GoPro HD Hero and custom GoPro mount for a "rotor free" movie experience - YouTube

Chris
@ Chris
I tried making it and it worked for a while (Primitive But Effective: Notes on Gopro Hero HD with a Parrot AR Drone). You have to make sure it mounts level and have a good way to fasten the mount. I tried using sticky-backed velcro, but found that adhesives didn't work too well with the foam core (came off). When that happened the mount may not sit right thus causing the drone to list in flight. Mine was listing right after some foam core camee off from the velcro, it hit a wall and the drone fell. Drone needed a replacement gear. The GoPro survived the drop but the footage was partially corrupted when the battery fell out. In hindsight, perhaps some rigid straws and rubber bands may have worked better.
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #14
Major Player

Pardon my newbie-ness with this area, but I find I have an upcoming need for a shot from something like this. While I'm totally familiar with the GoPros, I don't know much at all about the AR Drone. Reading through the threads here, I was wondering why the GoPro couldn't be mounted upside-down on the underside of the drone directly to the housing with a slight downward pitch? It should be relatively easy to center the balance this way. I know it would interfere with the 'feet' of the drone, but maybe a launch pad of sorts could be devised (a cardboard box?) that would allow the GoPro to stick out below. landings would be a problem, but by then I'd have the shot. I need a shot over a group of people, not super-high, but approaching from behind and flying over head looking slightly down. Is there any way to make this work with the Drone? My shoot is overseas and the idea of trying to pack (and learn to fly) the more complex RC options while appealing for the smoother result and better camera options is just too expensive and logistically complex for where we're headed. If this could work rather simply and easily, it would be ideal.... it's just one shot after all. Has anyone tried this?
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:02 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Hi Derek

I gave up with the drone and sold mine...parts seem to fail quite often and with disasterous results...I did make an under-mount from foam board ..just two wings with slots and the GoPro slides in !! You must make sure it clears the Ultrasonic sensors in the nav board.

I didn't like using the Gopro naked either..one bad landing in foliage and the lens on the GoPro is a goner!!

I get the same effect now putting my Hero on top of an extended lighting stand..at least 20' up and it gives you a really nice semi-aerial effect and requires no pilot!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras