Do you watch the Phantom or the monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old May 15th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Do you watch the Phantom or the monitor?

I've used two cameras on tripods at the same camera station and at the same time with reasonable results but looking up at the Phantom and then down at the camera feed then back up to the quad and back down again and down and up.....wait where is it?

If I only ever plan on single pilot operations then should I even consider monitoring the feed or rather should I develop a proficiency at knowing what the shot is, Framing is always important but given the nature of quadcopter stills and video maybe need not be as precises as an over the shoulder two shot.
I planned on waiting for the Phantom Vision but now may proceed to get a phantom and select a cam.
I do not want footage shot thru those fisheye lens so what would be a good alternative anyone?
thanks
Bruce
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Do you watch the Phantom or the monitor?

If you are holding the remote you don't take your eyes off the bird.

Have someone else look at the downlink and give you verbal instructions.

If you are flying solo then you get what you get.
Old May 16th, 2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Trustee

One style is known as LOS - Line Of Sight where you only watch the acft. The other is FPV - First Person Video where any flight inputs are based on what you see on the monitor. You can use one or the other but not both.

A lot of people fly FPV, its a lot of fun, however for the "unofficial commercial AP" its best to fly with a camera operator flying FPV and the pilot flying LOS. If everything is single pilot then you can fly FPV [though your FPV camera should not be mounted to the gimbal, you need to see your orientation to the ground] but depending on your location you should still have a spotter. There are a lot more things that can go wrong flying FPV.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the insights I suppose there's good reason for a larger than solo flight crew. I hadn't considered that.
Ffound a slightly used rx100 locally for a good price so it will be the first
Have yet to find a sale price on a phantom but still trying
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #5
DVi Contributor

Not so much with the larger craft, however I have heard that the smaller Phantom will sometimes fly out of radio range and just keep going. I have talked to two people that have lost both the craft and the gopro on it this way. they were looking at the monitor and did not realize how far they had let the craft go. One person even tried running after it hoping that the link would be reestablished. somewhere there will be hiker that runs into a UFO landing sight in the woods.
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I strongly recommend against flying FPV. It is much more dangerous and as mentioned can lead you to flying much beyond the radio range and/or out of the airspace limits for the craft.
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #7
Inner Circle

loosing a phantom is usually an user error.
they do not follow instruction (like properly calibrating before flying or waiting the GPS is fully initialized on ground and then on flight)
or ignoring that when you fly in semi-manual mode, the phantom will keep forward to the last command issued.

i think FPV is not good for filming, it could be ok for a first pass, and see what the camera will get, but you better too shoot large, have a good stabilization.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the addition comments. I think with sufficient rehearsal time the framing can be imagined
Sort of like texting while driving,,,,sooner or later.....
Multitasking isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Still trying to figure out triggering the shutter on a rx100
Old May 25th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
I strongly recommend against flying FPV. It is much more dangerous and as mentioned can lead you to flying much beyond the radio range and/or out of the airspace limits for the craft.
@Chris have you direct experience with this? thks
Old May 25th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Trustee

Whether its an RC or a real plane, flying anything is all about mitigating risk, all flying is dangerous. FPV flight is just another way to control an aircraft with a different sight picture. Its no more or less dangerous than LOS flight.

Lots of people fly FPV safely all the time, like any form of flight it becomes hazardous when you exceed your ability to maintain control and that primarily comes down to experience.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras