AlexMos Gimbals at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old July 29th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #1
New Boot

AlexMos Gimbals

Is anyone out there flying something beside a Phantom and using an AlexMos based gimbal?

Digitally,
Mac
Mac McGillivray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: AlexMos Gimbals

AlexMos is the controller that is used to stabilize brushless gimbals. It is an open source software but it has a 'patent?" on the programming on that board. You can get the same results with a Martinez controller.
But, this is only the controller you are talking about. You can use the controller for a lot of small, gopro or Nex5 Gimbals. The market is flooded with them.
I have a DJI Flamewheel 550 with a RCTimer gimbal

BG20 GoPro Gimbal with Control Board - Gimbal - RCTimer RC Plane Car MultiRotor APM and MultiWii Carbon Fiber Propeller Hobby Store

^^^^ is the gimbal with the controller

Here is where you can read all about the Martinez Controller.

RCTIMER 2-Axis Brushless Gimbal For GoPro / CCHD - RC Groups

These gimbals can be mounted to any rc heli or multirotor
here is a very short clip from mine

I would go with this one

Brushless Gimbal V3.0 Controller w/ Sensor (Martinez) - Flight Controllers

thats the one I have.

You can carry a full size DSLR with a brushless gimbal, but that a lot more costly.

Quadrocopter: Camera Gimbals

Ohhhh finally something on this forum I can give advice about. I have spent the last 7 years learning how to shoot vids from Helis and multis.
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:19 PM   #3
Trustee

Hi Mac,

I have not flown my AlexMos Gimbal yet but I shot this video handholding the gimbal:

I've built a Y6 to fly the gimbal w/NEX5n and building an X8 to fly a larger gimbal with a DSLR. There are a tone of gimbals for the smaller cameras but not many reliably good ones for larger cameras.

Here's my quad with an NEX5n:
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:28 AM   #4
New Boot

John,
How are you mounting that gimbal to your F550?

Digitally,
Mac
Old August 23rd, 2013, 11:29 AM   #5
New Boot

Nice job Chuck!

Digitally,
Mac
Old August 26th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Major Player

I bought a set of landing gear from Xerograft for their gopro gimbal and then used Tywraps to secure the gimbal to the two rods of the legs on top. The two rods fit perfectly between the two plates of G-10 glass on top where the rubbe dampeners are.
Old August 30th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #7
New Boot

Hi Mac,

Not being happy with anything that I saw commercially available I bought one of the AlexMos controllers and custom built my own gimbal for my Panasonic GH3. Having flown this gimbal now for about a month I can safely say that servo driven gimbals are officially dead. I am now working on a larger version to carry Canon's 1D C, C300 and Epics. Here is the Reel that I just posted a couple days ago featuring the new gimbal:

Have a great day.

Wayne Mann
Wayne Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Wayne,
Your footage looks pretty cool and is usable. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:13 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Mann View Post
Hi Mac,

Not being happy with anything that I saw commercially available I bought one of the AlexMos controllers and custom built my own gimbal for my Panasonic GH3. Having flown this gimbal now for about a month I can safely say that servo driven gimbals are officially dead. I am now working on a larger version to carry Canon's 1D C, C300 and Epics. Here is the Reel that I just posted a couple days ago featuring the new gimbal: 2013 HeliCam Aerial Media Services Demo Reel TWO in 1080 on Vimeo

Have a great day.

Wayne Mann
Nice work Wayne!

I agree with your statement "I can safely say that servo driven gimbals are officially dead."

We bought one of the RCtimer Gimbals that John Cash mentioned above for working with an H3, and I already have the AlexMos board.

We are looking at / following the InfinityM 3axis Gimbal to see how it works out.
I think that it will be our next gimbal for bigger cameras.
So far I can't find a reason not to get one other than some mounting issues that I might have on getting on our DJI S800.

InfinityM 3axis Gimbal - MultiCopters fo Aerial Photography - MultiKoptersy do Filmowania i Fotografii z Powietrza

Digitally,
Mac
Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:04 PM   #10
New Boot

Hi Mac,

I bought the Infinity M two axis when it first came out. The new three axis version probably has a lot better tolerances machined into it than the one I have. I basically tore mine apart and used what I could and remade everything else. The mount with a GH3 has way too much flex in it. Using the small motors that it uses to support the mount plus camera loads is a bad idea. I am mainly talking about the pan axis and the roll axis.

Wayne Mann
Wayne Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #11
Major Player

Thank You Wayne and Mac. I have started my official search for a brushless Gimbal that will carry a T3i and something that doesnt break the bank. I refude to spend 2-3K on a mount. Im putting my top price at 1k and for that I want a controller too.
Like Wayne said, Servo driven gimbals are dead, and the Chinese do make some good gimbals. I just cant justify the price of a Zenmuse or the new one from Photoship one.

Im starting a new build.Something to haul a full size dslr for 10 minutes
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:34 AM   #12
Tourist

Last week I used our new Porta Head 5 system for the first time with the cablecam and the brushless gimbal brought another improvement into the stabilization together with the kenyon gyro I used before. I edited some footage and making-of-material from the shooting with the cablecam. The camera used was a Canon 5D Mark 3 in RAW modus. Focal length mainly used was 50 mm, some shots used 35 mm and up to 85 mm.

Best regards,
Andreas Kielb

www.portahead.de
Andreas Kielb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras