Phantom advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old September 30th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Trustee

Phantom advice

I just purchased a phantom with the zenmuse gimball that has arrived (mostly) DOA from BH. I had them professionally install everything and am now beginning the long process of "tech support" and returns.

My question is it appears that it'll be at least another 2 weeks before I get a (hopefully) working phantom, would I be better off just waiting an additional couple of weeks for the "phantom 2" or whatever? Is there any news on this?

The little bit that I could get of the phantom working I loved, I can only imagine how cool it will be when I get a 100% working one.

Does anyone have any advice?
Old September 30th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Phantom advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen View Post
I just purchased a phantom with the zenmuse gimball that has arrived (mostly) DOA from BH. I had them professionally install everything and am now beginning the long process of "tech support" and returns.

My question is it appears that it'll be at least another 2 weeks before I get a (hopefully) working phantom, would I be better off just waiting an additional couple of weeks for the "phantom 2" or whatever? Is there any news on this?

The little bit that I could get of the phantom working I loved, I can only imagine how cool it will be when I get a 100% working one.

Does anyone have any advice?
From what I've read on forums (I don't know if this has been confirmed by DJI), the Phantom 2 will likely have the following upgrades:

- Better props
- PMU for the Zenmuse gimbal is now pre-installed
- Gimbal angle lever is installed on the controller
- Controller has a spring loaded throttle stick
- Extra battery included

I'm not sure if there will be other changes. However all of the above can be upgraded on your Phantom 1, it'll just end up costing a little more.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #3
Inner Circle

the original phantom is ok, especially with the 200$ price drop.
You can find the phantom for 550$ almost everywhere now.
i do not think the zenmuse worth the price since you can get a decent gimbal for less than 150$.
What was wrong with your drone (you said DOA ?)
This kind of toy is RTF out from the box but it is usually not the same for the owner.
The phantom requires to understand cryptic flashing code, activate the IOC mode from a PC and eventually fine tuning the propeller (and even the motors for the real demanding ones).
today you can mount a phantom with gimbal and camera for less than 1000$.
not sure the icing BH brings on the cake woth the additional 1000$.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 09:44 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks, that's exactly what I ended up getting from BH (even down to the spring loaded controller) except for the upgraded props. I just wish the professional install and testing they offered had actually done the testing because they would have seen the issue if they had!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras