New Camera Time at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Major Player

New Camera Time

Its time to upgrade my camera I fly. Currently flying with a Canon T3i. I am torn between the GH3 or the Black Magic Pocket camera

Pros of the GH3- It shoots full 1080 at 60fps. This is the most Important feature to me as far as flying. I seem to get more rolling shutter when I pan with a 30fps setting. Is light, and produces great images. But, I feel I may have to "sell' this camera to a producer if Im trying to use it at a professional level

BMPC- DNG raw and Prores capabiltiy , producers love it......but max 30 fps.

I also know the BMPC is much more camera than I have ever delt with and would take some time to figure out

Thoughts?
John Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 02:22 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: New Camera Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cash View Post
Its time to upgrade my camera I fly. Currently flying with a Canon T3i. I am torn between the GH3 or the Black Magic Pocket camera

Pros of the GH3- It shoots full 1080 at 60fps. This is the most Important feature to me as far as flying. I seem to get more rolling shutter when I pan with a 30fps setting. Is light, and produces great images. But, I feel I may have to "sell' this camera to a producer if Im trying to use it at a professional level

BMPC- DNG raw and Prores capabiltiy , producers love it......but max 30 fps.

I also know the BMPC is much more camera than I have ever delt with and would take some time to figure out

Thoughts?
Here's a thread about flying the BMPC: Blackmagic Pocket cinema camera in the air

I guess it depends on what problem your trying to solve and for who? If your shooting live action for commercials etc then 60 fps can be problematic in 24 frame projects.

As far as image quality I think most producers would have a difficult time differentiating aerial footage from these camera's. There's a lot of threads about the pros and cons for these camera's, you could always try the ML RAW on the T3i then output cinema DNG's and color correct in Lightroom.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras