XPro Heli XP2 vs. Phantom? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old April 3rd, 2014, 05:48 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XPro Heli XP2 vs. Phantom?

It's me again---I've gotten the approval to buy a multicopter for our university division...so with the credit card "unlocked," I'm still researching madly to make sure our money is spent as well as possible. (Roger---feel free to post any more knowledge here!)

For anyone who hasn't read my other threads, I'm well aware that money can't buy good piloting skills or great aerial video. (Those are on me!) But I do want to buy a platform that is relatively easy to fly (or at least easier to fly) and also has good support.

I've been looking at an admittedly high-priced Phantom package from DSLRPros.com---they seem to have a good reputation and appear to provide good support.

But then I remembered XProHeli, an Oregon, USA-based company that's been selling small quadcopters for a few years now. Their product, the XP2 looks pretty good. They have an excellent website packed with a lot of good videos and information, and their support appears to be excellent (you can immediately reach real people by phone or email who are happy to help you). The price of their full kit (with FPV) is comparable to the DSLRPros Phantom package.

So just curious as to what folks here have heard (or know) about XProHeli? Just trying to get some sort of comparison between their platform and the Phantom.

Thanks!
Scott

PS - My mission, as it were, is to find the leading ready-to-fly quadcopter on the market at a reasonable price!
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: XPro Heli XP2 vs. Phantom?

Hi Scott, that's great that you have got the funding approval at last.

I know absolutely nothing about the XPro Heli XP2, and being in the UK, am unlikely to see it. I had a look at their website and it looks like a well put together quad using tried and tested parts. I couldn't work out what the total price would be for the system you suggested with gimbal, GoPro and FPV, but I have a suspicion that it would be considerably more than a fully loaded Phantom.

That of course is secondary if it comes within your funding and is able to do everything that you need. More importantly though is not just the responding to calls type of backup, but also the immediate availability of spares and of course the costs of same. I noticed that the biatteries are over $100 dollars, so that is a consideration if you require a number of them. Also are there other alternative batteries availble if the supplied make is not in stock when needed. Other consumables such as props would also need to be readiliy available in case of damage.

Are there user groups available for help and advice, as one of the strengths of the Phantom is the vast number of users arround the world, who are constantly trying and sharing new ideas. At the end of the day, the final choice will be yours and I am sure from the research that you are doing that it will be a good one.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

More good points Roger. The XP2 has nowhere near the user base that the Phantom does---so that's certainly something to consider. On the other hand, I emailed the company with questions about their platform, and the owner of the company emailed right back with lengthy answers---which I take as a very good sign! (And they do seem to have plenty of spare parts on hand.)

They've actually developed their own 2-axis gimbal which I've read nothing bad about. They recently developed a BIG 3-axis gimbal (for DSLR's) and the owner said in 6 weeks or so they should be rolling out their own 3-axis gimbal.

After watching splitscreen video comparisons between the 2- and 3-axis gimbals, I'm totally sold on the 3-axis---the difference is amazing, and HAS to result in smoother aerial video regardless of piloting skills.

The cost of a full XP2 system---with 2-axis gimbal, Naza v2 GPS, and FPV system is actually about the same as one of the DSLRPros complete packages (around $3,200).

Scott
Scott Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Major Player

In terms of ease of use (or flight), I'd say both quads will be very similar as they use the same DJI NAZA flight controllers.

And as above, a 3-axis gimbal is definitely the way to go if possible.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras