Drones banned from Yosemite National Park - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old June 25th, 2014, 07:29 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Drones banned from Yosemite National Park

There is a chance, no matter how small, that a camera could catch on fire, and the owner/operator would drop it into the tinder-dry grass and start a wild-fire. This is just one thing that decision makers may throw in as a minor factor, other things would be more important
Vince Pachiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #32
Major Player

One might accidentally step on a flint based stone while hiking, that could possibly cause a spark as it struck another rock. This spark could start a fire, which could spread through Yosemite. If the winds were high enough, it could carry an ember outside the park, and start fires elsewhere. This could spread nationwide. The Chinese could perceive this as a giant diversionary smokescreen, and fear its a cover for a nuclear first strike. As a result of fears by the Chinese authorities, they could launch a preventative first nuclear strike, which could cause the U.S. to fire back, resulting in global nuclear winter, at which point all life could cease on the planet all because of the risks of hiking on foot on the ground with flint based rocks.

The moral of the story is, since you can never be too safe and you can never have too many government regulations saving us from ourselves, don't do anything, just enjoy your risk free life.
Old July 9th, 2014, 03:29 AM   #33
Major Player

We used to have an Irish comedian over here called Dave Allen. He was my favourite, but sadly he died a few years ago. Your scenario sounds so much like the sort of sketches he used to do in his TV shows, I am almost tempted to ask if you are him reincarnated (chuckle).

I have reservations about the widespread use of drones and appreciate that legislation will not stop the unscrupulous getting and using them illegally. However, some sort of licensing system will at least give give the authorities power to act in cases of misuse. Compulsory training and a test before licensing will ensure everyone knows how to fly them safely and compulsory insurance will help in the case of any accidents.

Just my two penn'orth!

Dave
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 05:02 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Errr, hold on. Let's go back to the first post in this thread, and the quote from the original statement:

"The park said drones pose a safety threat as well as ruin the aesthetics of the wilderness. "Drones can be extremely noisy, and can impact the natural soundscape," officials said. "Drones can also impact the wilderness experience for other visitors, creating an environment that is not conducive to wilderness travel."

It's my understanding that the PRIMARY reasons for the ban are nothing to do with safety? That the whole point of the parks is to keep areas of wilderness, and if increasing numbers of drones start to be used, the wilderness is diminished?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2014, 05:49 AM   #35
Inner Circle

I gather the ban is currently temporary, this article does seem to give some background for it being put in place:

National Park Service Moves to Ban Drones - WSJ
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baker View Post
We used to have an Irish comedian over here called Dave Allen. He was my favourite, but sadly he died a few years ago. Your scenario sounds so much like the sort of sketches he used to do in his TV shows, I am almost tempted to ask if you are him reincarnated (chuckle).

Dave
Nah, I am just clowning around using domino theory drama sarcasm to make a point to those who become turgid when they have a chance to give up both their liberties and others without consent to Big Government.

I probably would have enjoyed the irish comedian.....in his honor I shall look for his skits on youtube.
Old July 15th, 2014, 10:03 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Dave Allen would have endless fun with drones. Dog fighting pizza delivery drones, unwanted mailing drones, drones carrying you to your funeral (Death, religion, sex, lifts (elevators) and corporate life were open season). He also loved eccentrics.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2014, 09:41 PM   #38
Inner Circle

I so enjoyed Dave Allen. We watched on PBS every week.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras