Phantom Vision 2 Plus vs Zen Muse H3 3D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old June 6th, 2014, 12:32 AM   #1
Major Player

Phantom Vision 2 Plus vs Zen Muse H3 3D

As I'm spending too long looking at forums and videos on YouTube and Vimeo it's time for me to buy one of these devices and see what I can do with it.

My quandary is whether to buy the self contained Phantom Vision 2 Plus package or go for the higher quality images that people seem to be getting with the ZenMuse Go Pro 3+ combination.

What appeals to me about the Vision 2 plus is the ease of monitoring with an iPhone and the ability of controlling the camera whilst in flight.

Is it possible to tilt the camera in flight using the Zen Muse H3 3D?
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Phantom Vision 2 Plus vs Zen Muse H3 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dobson View Post
Is it possible to tilt the camera in flight using the Zen Muse H3 3D?
Yes it is, there is small lever on the bottom side of the PH2 remote that
Tilts the gimbal, not the best place but usable and with practice you can even use those shots while tilting:)
Monitoring option is not as straight forward as with vision, I am still trying to figure If my system is defective or it's a "user problem" :))
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #3
Trustee

It depends on what your goals are. If you want something to produce videos to share with friends on YouTube or an inexpensive trainer then either Phantom will do the trick. If your considering doing AP professionally then in my opinion neither Phantom will work.

The whole point of doing anything professionally is to provide a service or perspective that people are willing to pay for with an efficiency and reliability that you have dependable future wealth and enough margin. Using a GoPro will not differentiate your look or service from the morass of people who purchased their Phantom at the local mall which puts pressure on you to compete pretty much solely on price and without a lot of modification the Phantom can only carry a GoPro.

Part of the allure of DJI is their claim that they are plug-n-play, great for beginners, not so good if you need plug-n-work to make money. There's a lot more "play" going on to correct the idiosyncrasies of poor design and quality control. You only have to go on any RC forum to see literally thousands of pages of complaints against ALL DJI's products. For whatever reason there is an army of people out there defending DJI products but prior to the release of the NAZA "fly-aways" from any other controller was a rare occurrence, thanks to DJI it is now part of the MR lexicon.

Phantoms are cheap, almost indestructible, and fun, just like every photographer should have a GoPro anyone doing AP should have a Phantom. But as a Photographer I rarely charge money for imagery from a GoPro.

This is a video of a test of the Stella GoPro gimbal but more importantly its a test of shooting while switching between flight modes. The change between modes is almost imperceptible which is very useful in AP. But you can see the GoPro changes exposure quite a bit. Sorry these videos are pretty boring..

Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:03 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Buba,

I've just driven into to town and bought the Phantom 2 and ZenMuse H3 / 3D. I'l learn how to fly before I film and then a bit later on buy other bits and pieces such as FPV equipment.
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #5
Trustee

Never mind....
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
Never mind....
Lol Chuck..... I know what ya mean.
Björn Rehder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 06:44 PM   #7
Major Player

So what is the minimum package for flying a GH2??
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
So what is the minimum package for flying a GH2??
Something like a DJI S800 or S1000. The F550 probably won't handle the weight.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
It depends on what your goals are. If you want something to produce videos to share with friends on YouTube or an inexpensive trainer then either Phantom will do the trick. If your considering doing AP professionally then in my opinion neither Phantom will work.

The whole point of doing anything professionally is to provide a service or perspective that people are willing to pay for with an efficiency and reliability that you have dependable future wealth and enough margin. Using a GoPro will not differentiate your look or service from the morass of people who purchased their Phantom at the local mall which puts pressure on you to compete pretty much solely on price and without a lot of modification the Phantom can only carry a GoPro.
STELLA Gimbal Test on Vimeo
I know what you are saying Chuck.

However, people hire us to make films because of our overall experience of film making and the technical side is just a part of that. It's very rare that anyone will even ask about the equipment we use apart from occasionally wondering how much it costs.

I'm hoping that the Phantom will, like using a Go-Pro, provide an occasional and extra variety to lift, excuse the pun, the films we make within the construction industry.

I've used aerial filming a lot of times, from a helicopter with a gimbal and broadcast quality camera, and this as you know is a very expensive option, but one that produces superb results. And there are companies here in the UK offering great drone packages using cameras such as the C300 but again this is a 2 man operation and quite costly.

So lets hope I'm able to get good enough to squeeze an occasion shot into one of our films.

Your film looks great by the way. Apart from the Stella Gimbal what was your set up?
Old June 10th, 2014, 03:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dobson View Post
Thanks Buba,

I've just driven into to town and bought the Phantom 2 and ZenMuse H3 / 3D. I'l learn how to fly before I film and then a bit later on buy other bits and pieces such as FPV equipment.
Mark, have you flown a multi, or any other RC model before?

If you haven't, that's a lot of dosh for you to crash within 10 secs (or less) of taking off. Get yourself a small, Hubsan quad and learn to fly with that before you go crying to the bank.

(If you have flown before, please disregard above :) )

Peter
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #11
Trustee

Actually you should consider getting a small MR to practice with even if you have flown before. I have two of them and really enjoy flying them, they're inexpensive, practically indestructible and very helpul at improving your flying skills without the pressure of doing something wrong.

And a lot of fun...
Old June 10th, 2014, 09:28 AM   #12
Regular Crew

What is a MR? Any particular brand/model? James
James Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #13
Regular Crew

MULTI ROTOR. Google Hubsan. They're dirt cheap and you can learn to fly nose in before losing your marbles on a larger craft.
Before you ask, when the craft is flying 'tail in' like flying away from you, if you give it left stick, it will go left. If you give it right stick, it will go right. So far so good. If you give it forward stick, it will go forward and if you pull back, it will come back to you. Even better. NOW, if the craft turns round so that the nose is facing you ALL THE CONTROLS ARE REVERSED. So if you wantbit to go to your right, YOU HAVE TO GIVE IT LEFT STICK, AND ITS THE SAME WITH ALL THE OTHER CONTROLS.
If your not familiar with flying nose in, your going to crash first time, that's why you need to PRACTICE with either a Hubsan, or MQX.
Don't practice with your treasured craft, you'll soon be out of pocket !!!!
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 01:44 PM   #14
Trustee

This is mine carrying my 7D...
Attached Thumbnails
Phantom Vision 2 Plus vs Zen Muse H3 3D-_d6a5990-edit.jpg  
Old June 11th, 2014, 03:42 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Nice one Chuck :)
Peter D. Parker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras