GoPro4 v GH4? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old October 24th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: GoPro4 v GH4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Allen View Post
There has to be at least a $3000-4000 difference between both rigs.
i'd say double of that, it's like $6-8K difference depending on config and place you buy it from,
plus, phantom is a 'toy' and i am comfortable to fly it anywhere,
i don't even want to try to fly that S9000 anywhere near people, and people is what i film.
Old October 24th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #17
Trustee

If you think a GH4 can do better than this, go for it:

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
I personally think the GH4 looks better. For the price difference though? Not so sure.

Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2014, 07:28 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Arnott View Post
I personally think the GH4 looks better.
if anybody thinks that GoPro4 looks better than GH4 they just folling themselves :)
Old November 27th, 2014, 02:10 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
if anybody thinks that GoPro4 looks better than GH4 they just folling themselves :)
Well the GH4 doesn't have the fisheye look with bent verticals. The GoPro 4 is obviously value for money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
Noa, I'm waiting for your GoPro 4 to arrive so you can post some comparison footage ;)

I'm right at the point of looking at the Phantom 2 (which I have) + GoPro 4 --OR-- go for the S900 + Zenmuse (I already have a GH4) or Align M690.

To me the advantage of the M690 is that it claims it can handle both GH4 and 5D3 (which I also have) whereas the S900 you get to choose one or the other. It's also cheaper.

The problem is that we don't yet have any real world experience of the M690 or it's flight controllers, nor can I find an AUW with gimbal & GH4. It needs to be under 7KG or it's a no-go.

I'm also now aware of another manufacturer coming to market shortly with options for Quad, Hex and X8 and built in the USA, so I may just hold off a little bit longer.

Damn, choosing a camera is bad enough, choosing an aircraft as well is just making it exponentially worse!
Dave,
Let us know your experience with M690.

Now that DJI doesn't have GoPro mount in the Inspire1, I am wondering when GoPro will launch their own quadcopters.
Old November 27th, 2014, 02:53 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasachi Patra View Post
Well the GH4 doesn't have the fisheye look with bent verticals. The GoPro 4 is obviously value for money.

Dave,
Let us know your experience with M690.

Now that DJI doesn't have GoPro mount in the Inspire1, I am wondering when GoPro will launch their own quadcopters.
There's plenty of info around now on the Align M480 and M690. I personally just picked up the M480 with gimbal for my GH4. Very pleased with the build quality - and it flies better than my DJI F550.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2014, 10:20 AM   #22
Regular Crew

From Wall St Journal, yesterday:

GoPro Inc. is developing its own line of consumer drones to expand from its core business of making wearable video cameras popular with surfers and other sports enthusiasts, according to people familiar with its plans.

The company plans to start selling multirotor helicopters equipped with high-definition cameras late next year, aiming for a price tag between $500 and $1,000, according to these people.

Full article here:
GoPro Developing Line of Consumer Drones - WSJ

James
Old December 1st, 2014, 02:41 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post

Over The Tregor - aerial GoPro Hero4 on Vimeo
Mark, I thought that your videos, were excellent, I really think that I'm going to have to get a 4K GoPro Hero.. I also like the clips of aerial video that are not very high. So many people get into just real high footage,for me, I want a Quadcopter to be able to get those shots like you did of the horses, and on the beach, to be able to get to places where most cameras can't get to but are not very high, I also love the shots over the old chapel, Great stuff!
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2014, 03:23 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Those flying shots where not Mark's :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Kolenda View Post
Mark, I thought that your videos, were excellent, I really think that I'm going to have to get a 4K GoPro Hero.. I also like the clips of aerial video that are not very high. So many people get into just real high footage,for me, I want a Quadcopter to be able to get those shots like you did of the horses, and on the beach, to be able to get to places where most cameras can't get to but are not very high, I also love the shots over the old chapel, Great stuff!
I also like the Majestic New Zealand shots. I haven't tried any Drones yet, Looking to get a GoPro 4K, then a small, Z-One Pro, 3 axis gimbal, then I will look into a Drone maybe by then, GoPro will have their's out!
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 02:03 PM   #26
Trustee

Talking about one camera verses another is always such a "religious" debate, add to that any discussion about which is the best multirotor and gimbal, and well, wars have been started over lessor issues..

The GoPro aerial footage from "Over the Tregor" was very nice but the image quality hardly compares favorably to the GH4 aerial of New Zealand. Sure we can debate whether the added quality of the aerial GH4 footage worth the additional expense, how difficult was it to acquire the GH4 aerial versus the aerial GoPro footage etc., but I think the right answer, as cliche as this might be, is the right setup is the one your willing to use.

If your uneasy about flying $4000+ worth of stuff then your not likely going to get good shots no matter which camera you use. So like most technology purchases there's a lot of other things to consider that will probably make the right choice self evident.

But if your just comparing GoPro aerial to GH4 aerial then I'd say that the GH4 footage is definitely worth the added expense.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2015, 09:12 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I am fortunate to fly both cameras but in many cases the GH4 gear is to difficult to travel with and budgets do not pay for the risks involved.

When flying the GoPro 4 I use a modified unit. The fish eye lens is removed and replaced with a rectilinear lens that is about a 35mm. Amazing how un GoPro it appears.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 05:36 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Is that replacement lens one of gopro's accessories and can you do the replacement yourself?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2015, 10:20 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dasher View Post
I am fortunate to fly both cameras but in many cases the GH4 gear is to difficult to travel with and budgets do not pay for the risks involved.

When flying the GoPro 4 I use a modified unit. The fish eye lens is removed and replaced with a rectilinear lens that is about a 35mm. Amazing how un GoPro it appears.
I have a Hero3 with a rectilinear lens and a GH4 and although the the GoPro is much better with that lens I still don't think it compares to the GH4. However, like I mentioned earlier this really isn't a thread to compare the the camera's but the aerial application and I agree that flying the GoPro is much easier and less risky.

But also, once you move beyond DJI there are multirotors available that in my opinion are more dependable, trustworthy and almost as easy to deploy with a GH4 as a Phantom with a GoPro. I have a Hero4 but have not changed the lens, also keep in mind that if you change the lens on a GoPro it might change the balance enough that it won't work with a lot of the small 3-axis gimbals.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras