DJI Phantom 4 Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old December 24th, 2016, 07:08 AM   #1
Major Player

DJI Phantom 4 Pro

Anyone got any opinions on the new 1" 20 Mp Exmor R CMOS sensor on this? I was looking at the Mavic which is nice and portable, but the Phantom 4 Pro looks pretty good.

Old December 25th, 2016, 04:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: DJI Phantom 4 Pro

Wish I could say I've tried it, but not yet. Here are some good reviews:

Old January 7th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #3
Photographer

I'm being coerced by a couple of very good clients who want me to have drone capability to augment my helicopter work. I'll have to confess to being very ambivalent for several reasons. First, DJI, while the obvious leader has such poor customer service......wait, no, you have to have customer service for it to be poor. I have a three year old P2 kit that has seen daylight a half dozen times due to it's unpredictability. I sold my brand new Ronin for a 2K loss because it would never balance with any camera, regardless of how many times I tried. So now I'm thinking about sending them 9 grand for an I2? Goes against my grain. A second reason is that when a drone launches, all I can see is liability. I know they are cool and getting more and more capable, but I have a hard time getting my errant P2 experiences out of my mind.

Ultimately, if I do it, I'll need an Inspire 2 5.2K, so I guess it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a P4, fly it for a few months and upgrade. Maybe it makes more sense to see how reliable a Mavic Pro is and then, with a little more confidence, get the I2?

The P4 reviews are glowing, but once again it better be perfect out of the box because even DJI's dealers will tell you that your basically on your own once you own any DJI product. Heck of a way for the industry leader to behave.
Old January 8th, 2017, 04:43 PM   #4
Major Player

I have a Phantom3 now and previously a Phantom1 (never needed any support)
The improvement is impossible to overstate
a P4 with the 1 inch sensor will give you giggles.
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #5
Photographer

Good to know, thanks Bruce!
Old January 10th, 2017, 07:02 AM   #6
Major Player

I crashed my first one! but it still flew, the current one (P3P) is doing good with no big issues.
things don't always work the way they should, but I see that from a lot of systems and support or the lack of is a big problem especially with complex systems where there are so many variables as to what causes malfunctions etc.
The 1" sensor is attractive at the price point, cant see myself spending too much on these.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 09:10 AM   #7
Photographer

I'm finding that Bruce's assessment of the P4Pro is accurate, thanks Bruce! Very stable so far. Updates seem to come so fast and furiously that you are constantly bombarded by warning beeps and messages for calibrations and updates, but I guess that's good.

I've taken it out of beginner mode for a couple of flights now and it seems to do exactly what it's told. Cautiously optimistic at this point, about a dozen flights in.

My batteries will only charge to three light bars, no matter what I do, can't quite figure that out. All in all a much better experience than I had with my P2.
Old May 18th, 2017, 09:08 PM   #8
Photographer

Here's a P4Pro update:

I did a pretty intricate series of flights for a client, they entailed flying low and high down a limestone creek, threading around low hanging branches and boughs. The client was beside himself with the footage.

I ran into a small problem when a battery began to go toes up early and the P4Pro began initiating a precautionary landing, which would have been in two feet of water. I attempted a hand capture that met with less success than I had hoped, leaving me with a shredded shirtsleeve and a series of pretty good prop bites on my forearm. Completely my fault, not the P4Pro's, it did exactly what it was supposed to do, I was the weak link.

Battery problem, charging to 45%, has been diagnosed, it's the DJI three bay charging dock. I charged each of my five batteries individually via the single cord charger and they all went to 100%.
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:09 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cantwell View Post
Anyone got any opinions on the new 1" 20 Mp Exmor R CMOS sensor on this?
Rob, I have a DJI Phantom 4 Pro Plus. Keep in mind that I am not a working professional these days and I purchased this thing just for fun, and fun it is a plenty. The image quality is more than satisfying and I am viewing both stills and 4k 60p footage on a recently purchased Dell 27" 4k monitor. Here is a Prt Scr of a photograph taken with the device.

http://johnmccully.com/wp-content/up...17/04/0103.jpg

It is extremely easy to fly however the rules and regulations regarding where and when one is permitted to operate it are limiting, at least here in New Zealand.

My opinion: for me the new 1" Exmor R CMOS sensor is more than adequate. I don't do a lot of post work.

I trust those comments are helpful.

Cheers.
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #10
Major Player

Perhaps it might be more helpful if I shoot a short 4k 60p clip and upload the original directly out of the camera, no re-compression, tomorrow hopefully.

Cheers...
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:34 PM   #11
Major Player

Here are a couple of clips that might be helpful. Do download the original rather than evaluate by playing on Vimeo.

Cheers.

Old May 23rd, 2017, 08:09 AM   #12
Inner Circle

The P4 Pro is by far the best non-professional drone on the market, I've seen some stunning footage from it, it has great features and a sophisticated camera for a consumer device. I've been contemplating buying one, was hot on the Mavic Pro but the P4 Pro is far superior for video work.

That said, every person in this forum should read about my colleague Slavik B's drone experience up in Oregon. You really, really need to become a Part 107 pilot if you want to use any footage in any of your projects. If you decide, as I am, that you don't want to become certified, you need to make sure that you hire drone pilots who are Part 107 certified or you risk huge fines and the hassles of investigation. And it won't be the FAA busting you, it will be local Part 107 pilots who want you to hire them, they will report you to the FAA. It's getting nasty, I have heard this from more than just Slavik, I've heard it from several colleagues here in LA too.

Read it, it's an eye opener Flying A Drone - Gear Dads
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras