Drone striking Southwest Airlines 737 -- how it was faked - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Flying Cameras
UAV, Helicam, and all other aerial videography topics.

Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:36 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: Drone striking Southwest Airlines 737 -- how it was faked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pulera View Post
Surprised at the comments inferring that a drone strike to a car wouldn't do much damage. I recently caught a rock to the windshield and it almost broke all the way through. A drone weighing several pounds with a NiCad battery brick at 70+ MPH? No thank you sir.
Rock vs. Drone .... winner is always Rock

I'm definitely more worried about the rock hitting my windshield!
Old September 23rd, 2017, 10:00 AM   #17
Major Player

A drone going into a jet engine might cause enough damage to endanger the flight. Something as dense as the battery could break off a part of a fan blade, which then rattles through the successive stages of the fan and compressor, breaking off more pieces of blades, so you get a growing path of damage. It would have to be a lucky hit, given the size of those engines and what they're designed to withstand.

I've seen what a flock of birds can do to a smaller jet engine in a fighter jet. Down in Australia, a jet was taking off or landing, don't remember which now, but it hit about 8 large black birds, like crows. Engine was severely damaged as were parts of the airframe. Pics show the engine blades torn, bent and twisted and pieces broken off. The wing pylon was crushed in, popping several rivets. All from just some birds.
Of course, it being Australia, naturally those were some badass birds, wearing spiked collars and sporting tattoos.
Attached Thumbnails
Drone striking Southwest Airlines 737 -- how it was faked-bird-strike-engine.jpg   Drone striking Southwest Airlines 737 -- how it was faked-bird-strike-pylon.jpg  

Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:27 PM   #18
Trustee

Talk about a rock hitting a windshield ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
Plus, most of the time you notice a rock is when it hits your windshield. Given the nature of a drone, hitting your windshield is odds I'd be willing to play. A rock kicked up from the ground by a truck or other vehicle is far more concerning.
That is for sure. I just recently experienced this. Going past a highway construction project, probably doing all of maybe 20 mph or so, a dump truck that had just left the construction site was traveling the opposite direction and a small rock, maybe 3/4 of an inch (~ 2 cm to some others) hit the windshield just about eye height sending chards of glass toward me. Had I not been wearing sunglasses it could have been much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Reeber View Post
Planes are designed to take bird strikes and they are much denser than drone.
Having flown into a GA airport near a bird refuge I can tell you that even at slow approach speeds bird strikes cause damage. I was always leery of the approach and the takeoff until I left the area.

There have been incidents of birds flying through the windshield and into the cockpit - and we're talking more than just feathers (blood and guts). This can cause major disruption to the person trying to fly the plane, not to mention all the wind, especially if it is a single engine plane with the prop up front!
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 01:52 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
A drone going into a jet engine might cause enough damage to endanger the flight. Something as dense as the battery could break off a part of a fan blade, which then rattles through the successive stages of the fan and compressor, breaking off more pieces of blades, so you get a growing path of damage. It would have to be a lucky hit, given the size of those engines and what they're designed to withstand.
Not to mention what can go wrong with a lithium-ion battery. They don't even let those into your checked baggage due to their possible explosive nature. I definitely don't think you want a potentially explosive object passing through a jet engine at 200mph.

Come to think of it, I don't really want a potentially explosive object falling onto the highway in front of me, or worse, onto my windshield, at terminal velocity either.
Old October 8th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
I definitely don't think you want a potentially explosive object passing through a jet engine at 200mph.
It sounds like you believe lithium ion batteries actually “explode” like in the kinds of explosions you see in movies and on TV. That’s not exactly what they do when ruptured. They emit fumes and can cause fires, they don’t actually “explode” unless you are overcharging it, which means taking the battery out of its housing and connecting a power source directly to it.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 01:00 PM   #21
Major Player

Whatever they do. I don't want one coming through the windscreen or a plane engine I'm in.
Old October 8th, 2017, 01:39 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
Whatever they do. I don't want one coming through the windscreen or a plane engine I'm in.
The odds that will happen to you are astronomical.
Old October 8th, 2017, 07:41 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
It sounds like you believe lithium ion batteries actually “explode” like in the kinds of explosions you see in movies and on TV. That’s not exactly what they do when ruptured. They emit fumes and can cause fires, they don’t actually “explode” unless you are overcharging it, which means taking the battery out of its housing and connecting a power source directly to it.
I'm a film-maker.

If I didn't believe everything in our world explodes on impact then I wouldn't be able to do my job.
Old October 9th, 2017, 12:01 AM   #24
Major Player

Probably more chance of being hit on the head by lightning.
Old October 9th, 2017, 08:58 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McPherson View Post
Probably more chance of being hit on the head by lightning.
You're actually more likely to be murdered than you have of your airplane getting hit by a drone.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 01:18 PM   #26
Regular Crew

What Really Happens When a Drone Strikes an Airplane

Quote:
Planes are designed to take bird strikes and they are much denser than drone. I don't think a drone could do any significant damage.
>>Drones are made of materials much denser and stiffer than soft tissues and muscles of geese and other airborne animals. Simulations show that when a bird goes into an engine, it's essentially liquidized by spinning blades, like a macabre episode of "Will It Blend." Not so with a drone.<<

What Really Happens When a Drone Strikes an Airplane
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 08:11 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Of course, it’s helpful to know that the drone in question from that study is 8lbs and a design that is being conceived to deliver packages, not the typical Mavics and Phantoms (2-3lbs). According to the article that the simulation video is sourced from:

Quote:
This is the drone size that one European country has sanctioned for their postal services to deliver packages to high altitudes. The work is not based on any organization’s request. We are able to model a variety of different drone sizes and models. We chose this model as a demonstrator, because it was one of the larger size commercial drones available that is capable of carrying large weights and reaching higher ceilings.
http://www.techenstein.com/what-happ...-surprise-you/
Old November 8th, 2017, 02:53 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Planes are designed to take bird strikes and they are much denser than drone. I don't think a drone could do any significant damage.
I saw below video recently, if a drone would be harmless to a plane I don't take they would take such measures to avoid it :)

Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 05:33 AM   #29
Inner Circle

That drone sighting was unconfirmed. I recall a similar incident where a supposed drone strike on an airplane at Heathrow turned out to be anything but, possibly even just a plastic bag.

So, yes, if you call in that you think you saw a drone near an airport, you can wreak all kinds of havoc, even though for DJI drones, those are no-fly areas with their software.
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:21 AM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
I saw below video recently, if a drone would be harmless to a plane I don't take they would take such measures to avoid it :)

https://youtu.be/SdfVIdsufI8
This is a solution in search of a problem.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Flying Cameras