Fsc-hd Dte Is Discontinued at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old August 6th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #1
Tourist

Fsc-hd Dte Is Discontinued

Hi! I'm new to video production, so please excuse my ignorance. I am certainly learning from this forum though.

My delima is not new to the forum, but perhaps someone out there has some new info. **The old Firestore FSC-HD vs FS-4 PRO HD question.**

I'm using Canon XH A1 and iMAC with FCP. I am ready to purchase a Firestore. From what I have been reading, it seems I should get the FSC for my Canon A1. I had a couple of questions about battery, warranty, etc., so phoned dealer, who referred me to Canon. Then Canon tells me that they no longer carry the FSC and that it is discontinued. They said I could probably still buy it. Well, yes I certainly can, but not at a discounted price for a discontinued item.

When I asked if the FS-4 Pro Hd will work with my camera, I am told that they show only the FCS being compatible. (I read several posts about issues with A1 & FS-4 Pro.) So, what's wrong with this picture??? I need the FSC for my camera, BUT IT HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED!!! Then they told me to call Focus Enhancements to see why it has been discontinued, and if FS-4 Pro might work.

I'm just not up for holding for FE. I'm just guessing that they will tell me the FS-4 will work fine. Please.....any insight or advice will be greatly appreciated.

PE
Patty England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Sponsor: divergent media

The FS4-ProHD will work except for Quicktime 24f. The FS-C can record the 24f and 30f modes into Quicktime files, the FS4-ProHd will only record those formats as M2T. Other than that, they're the same.
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #3
Tourist

Colin,

I do want QT 24f though. So, are you saying my only option is to buy the FSC? I just don't think I can shell out $1,700 for a discontinued item.

It has been discontinued for SOME reason. I guess I will have to call Focus E and see if they know the reason. I asked Canon if it was going to be replaced (perhaps with a new model), but they said no, and they didn't know why it is discontinued.

Wasn't there something about an upgrade that would allow 24/30f? Was that for the FSC?
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #4

Welcome to focus products unfortunately ...
Old August 6th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Tourist

Well, HALLELUIAH!!! FE just told me that the FSC has not been discontinued. She said can't imagine why Canon told me that, because it simply isn't true.

You are more experienced than me. Should I trust that answer?

PE
Old August 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM   #6

I've had my share of random, non-reality based answers from Focus, but if they'll sell you one, you may as well get it.
Old October 9th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

So does this all STILL stand true? I just bought a FS-4 Pro HD Firestore and need the Quicktime capability and now, FE is bankrupt...

What is the final standing on this issue?
Travis Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore