Another battery alternative at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old December 18th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Major Player

Another battery alternative

This may or may not work for some users... I picked up a couple of Black & Decker Power to GO power packs at my local Home Depot. THese are designed as emergency power units with a standard plug and one or two USB ports for recharging. Well, I just used the smaller of the two (output 115v 20 watts) with the FS-4 wall wart plugged in to it and it ran the drive for 2+hours. Home Depot's website has it listed for $49 but I thought I paid $29. I also picked up a larger version rated at 100 watts but have not yet tested it. Home Depot lists it at $89.

These are roughly the same size as the FS-4 and I plan to use them when I cannot easily get AC. Mostly for plays, recitals and other long run-time events.

Like I said, might not be for everyone but they are relatively cheap and small.
Reed Gidez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Digging up an old post here...

Anyone else give these a whirl?

Any long term reports Reed?
Kevin Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Well, I bit the bullet... I got a gig coming up that I'll need to use something... So I went a head and ordered it... I'll report back!
Old December 11th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I would be interested to see how the external battery works as well. I used my FSC 60 at a shoot on the weekend and found that I was starting to be concerned about the recording time. I had the FSC plugged into AC power.... but have since thought that in shoots that have the Canon A1 rolling continuously, it would be nice to be not limited to the battery life. In situations where power is not available the battery limits you to about the same time a tape lasts...one hour.
Today I changed the hard drive to a 120 gig WD drive and the FSC60 now says that I have about 8 hours of recording...cool. I have tested it yet though.
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Major Player

B&D has been fine in the field

While certainly not as efficient as the Tekkeon, the price was pretty good at my local Home Depot. I keep a couple of these charged up and take them with me just in case. They did bail me out a few times when I saw the battery level fall below 30%. Plugged the PS for the Firestore into the brick and then plugged the lead into the FS.

Another bonus is the USB port on the unit for providing power to USB powered devices like my phone.
Old December 12th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm hoping I will be able to use it for the firestore and maybe a DIY LED or litepanels on camera light setup. Mainly with the lights for parties and weddings... so 2-4 hours max is what I'm hoping to get. I got the 100watt version (4Ah).

I thought about doing a DIY battery setup but I could only get a ~2Ah for the same money... so sure I'll loose some energy from the DC to AC to DC conversion but probably not half so I'll still have more and it's all in a "professional" enclosure already.
Old December 30th, 2008, 12:38 AM   #7
Major Player

Well, it didn't work out too well... luckily (did I just say that?) the whole firestore locked up on me (see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/focus-enh...conds-rec.html) so I wasn't depending on it. I shot some test footage today and hadn't worried about the firestore because I had this little power brick in reserve...

It last about 5 mins if I was lucky... very sad... I charged it up again and put it on an LCD monitor/tv and put it on static (no audio) says it draws .7 amps... well again the power dropped to almost nothing in minutes. When I plug it in it shows like it's already halfway charged... so I suspect it's just a shorted/defective/old battery. I bought it on amazon.com so I'm sending it back for a refund... I MIGHT try this thing out again (free shipping and they pay the return postage, so I'm not out anything to try again.) Or I might just build a DIY rechargable battery brick... sure did like the small size and built in inverter even though I know I was wasting a good deal of juice on that dc-ac-dc conversion.
Old December 31st, 2008, 07:08 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I haven't (yet) bought a firestore but I have been thinking about how to power it. I had thought about getting 2 canon BP 970 battery equivalents, wired in series to give 14.4 volts. According to their spec, the firestore should be able to run for over 10 hours.

As a means of connecting to the batteries, I thought about buying 2 cheap chargers, ripping out the charging circuit and replacing it with the necessary wiring.

All just theory, so far...

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd
Ian Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:04 PM   #9
Major Player

The theory sounds good... only issue I don't really like about it is that it wouldn't be as "solid" as a DIY pack that had good connections on it... though I suppose you could use some velcro straps to ratchet down the batteries once on the hacked up chargers.

IF you already have canon cameras then it makes sense... I have a dvx100a so I would go with those but still a cheap way to get some extra juice and not invest in more than you need.

You COULD actually tap into that pack in parellel also and power your camera from it also... it would only drain you by 1/2 what your camera normally drains one of those batteries since it would be pulling from both. Hmm, I'm liking the idea of this option more and more. ;)
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:05 PM   #10
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Wright View Post
I haven't (yet) bought a firestore but I have been thinking about how to power it. I had thought about getting 2 canon BP 970 battery equivalents, wired in series to give 14.4 volts. According to their spec, the firestore should be able to run for over 10 hours.

As a means of connecting to the batteries, I thought about buying 2 cheap chargers, ripping out the charging circuit and replacing it with the necessary wiring.

All just theory, so far...

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd
Yes it will work. Our vDoubler is based on this idea.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 01:54 PM   #11
Regular Crew

This setup is used for a Ikan Monitor but it could be modified for a FS.

Xl2 with V8000W

I think this setup uses Sony Batts. Looks nice.

Iakan Accessories list - I don't no if they make a Canon batt setup. That would be great!

ikancorp.com: Monitor Accessories

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore