can the FS-4 HD Record Quicktime HD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old April 19th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

can the FS-4 HD Record Quicktime HD?

I just bought the FS-4 HD today and it wont record on my HD100 it is NTSC USA checked on the box and Im using NTSC cam It acts like it starts to record then it stops, also I would like to kill the conversion time to none ,so if I can somehow record in QuicktimeHD/HDQT that would be perfetct...

Anyone get the firmware update with QTHD installed>??

Last edited by Steven Houser; April 20th, 2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: added info for neede help
Steven Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:00 PM   #2
New Boot

You need the FS4Pro-HD to be able to record in QuicktimeHD. The basic 40GB unit FS4-HD only record M2T in HD. There's no upgrade available to add the QuicktimeHD. I know that not all the camera are compatible with the Firestore line, check their website, they have a list of the current camera supported by the unit.

hope it help.
Jack Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2008, 08:23 AM   #3
New Boot

The FS-4 can be upgraded to a FS-4 Pro which would give it the capability to as Quicktime HD.

I recently inquired about this to Focus Enhancements support and received this response.

"To have this done, a cost of “$350.00” will apply.
(Part # ASYF-1194-01 *FS-4HD to FS-4PRO HD = $350.00 USD)

**Features that are added and come with the upgrade are:
*DV25 Avid OMF
*DV25 MXF
*DV25 Pinnacle AVI
*HDV QuickTime
*Reels
*Retro Disk
*Retro Loop
*Snap
*Timelapse

FS-4PRO HD User Manual: https://www.focusinfo.com/solutions/catalog.asp?id=3
(Reference the “Information” section)"

Unfortunately, $350 isn't in my budget. (getting married in a few months, what can ya do?)

So that should give you ome more information on your question Steven.

I'd like to inquire if this upgrade could be done myself. The hardware is the same between the FS4 and the FS4 Pro so this update is I would assume is purely software.
I'd love to at least try.
Does anyone have a FS4 Pro that would try to copy the hard drive image?
I also plan on trying to upgrade the hard drive in the FS4. Took it apart and found out that it has a Laptop harddrive ATA6 connection.

Would love any and all thoughts on the subject. Thanks !
Braden Henze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Sponsor: divergent media

If you don't want to upgrade to Pro, or you want to use canon 24f or 30f with a FS4, check out the app clipwrap which came out today:
ClipWrap

It'll let you leave the Firestore in m2t format, and rewrap (without transcoding) the files as quicktime afterwards.

Disclaimer is that I know the guy who wrote clipwrap, though he wrote it in part because I bugged him about how annoying it was that I couldn't use my 3 FS4-Pros with my Canon XL-H1s in 24f mode to do Quicktime, because focus wanted me to buy FS-Cs...
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #5
New Boot

This program is excellent Colin.
Would there be any way to make ClipWrap also work with AVCHD format?
I have footage on both a FS-4 and a Canon HG10 that uses AVCHD. I would love to be able to editing footage easily together in Final Cut.
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #6
Sponsor: divergent media

We're investigating AVCHD, but right now don't know of a way to make FCP read the actual video data without a transcode. (IE, to make FCP understand the native avchd codec)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore