FS-4 does not boot... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old November 29th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FS-4 does not boot...

Hello,

My Focus Firestore FS-4, which I bought second hand recently, doesn't boot. I bought it with a flat battery and with the information that it's harddisk was updated. I think it used to be a 40GB. The FS-4 came without the AC adapter (I've ordered one now), so I charge it with my Mac G5 through FireWire.
After opening the FS-4 (removing some screws), an Apple MERCA 655-1222A harddisk (100GB and manufactured by Seagate) was found.

The problem is this; when I power up the FS-4, a blue (blank) screen is shown. It never comes any further (no messages). I've had the harddisk tested at a computershop, and it worked fine. The harddisk has been formatted (just in case) in the FAT32 system. But it didn't help, it just does not boot...
The FS-4 also doesn't want to shut off!..I have to remove the battery or the FireWire cable...

I have tried a Factory Reset (which I found in another thread here), it didn't help.

Is anyone familiair with this problem or does anyone have a hint or clue?

Thanks in advance!

Rob
Rob Bruijgoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Rob, did it ever work since you have had it?
Old November 29th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Rob,

No, it never did. It arrived this Tuesday, without an AC adapter. Today, after reading the downloaded manual, I had the idea of charging it via FireWire.
It powers up and then it hangs. It doesn't shut off proparly too...
Could this be a malfunctioning motherboard? The owner claims that it worked in June this year, and the files found (by the shopowner who checked the harddisk itself) on the harddisk proved this.

Do you have any experience on this?

Thanks!
Rob Bruijgoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sorry , no , but charging mine when it's dead by the ac charger take (3 1/2) several hours. I don't no how long it would take via firewire? If it does not have the right amount of power it may hang. When mine get low on power it is very slow to responed and then will not boot.
Old November 29th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have the 90 minute (850mAh) battery. Via FireWire it was charged (LED turned green) in about 2 hours. And after it was charged it still operated in the way I described...
I think you have the 180 min. battery?
Old November 29th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Rob
May be you can call/email FS Monday.....They might help out.
Best to you.
Old November 30th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I've already sent them an e-mail. Hope they have a solution for this malfunction.
Thanks for your replies!
Old November 30th, 2008, 04:34 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I've uploaded a small movie of the Firestore FS-4 malfunctioning. Even when I let the FS-4 run for about 5 minutes, it won't boot.
Attached Files
File Type: mov Firestore malfunctioning.mov (545.3 KB, 375 views)
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Rob, That was a good video, it may help FS. If you have never used the Firestore, (if you can get that one working) you will love it. I now hate to even look at a miniDv tape! I paid $1,225 and its worth every penny.
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:02 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thank you Rob. And it's good to hear that the FS can be a good piece of equipment...at this moment I'm just staring at a black box ;)
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:39 PM   #11
New Boot

If you are getting a blue screen on bootup, you will have to send your unit to Focus for repair. There is no user fix for this problem. This happen to one of our FS-4 units a year ago after it was dropped. Focus fixed the unit and it's been working great since.
Jonas Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:46 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hey Jonas, thanks for the input! Do you remember what the problem was and how much it cost you to repair it?
Old December 27th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Rob, any word on whats up ?
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Hey Rob,

The FS-4 is on it's way back to me from COMO (Focus import and repair centre in Germany).
They told me by e-mail that they had to replace the motherboard...
The repair including shipping back to me cost me 245 EUR.

Hope it will be alright now, since they did not want to repair the FS-4 with it's non original 100GB harddisk in it. I will get back on this.
Old December 28th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Rob,
Good to hear, let me know how it works.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore