Purchase the MR HD-100?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old January 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Purchase the MR HD-100??

I have a limited time, unique opportunity to purchase a MR HD100 for about $1000. I am told it lists for almost $2500 but I haven't been able to determine a street price. I have a JVC GY HD-110 with an AB Trimpac 14 battery set-up. Three questions - is this a really great price? Is this a really great unit? And, will it mount on my camera with the battery set up I have? Thanks very much for any feedback!!
Terry VerHaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No One?

Well - I went ahead and ordered it. I guess I'll have an opportunity to answer my own questions. :-)
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Major Player

Hello Terry,
I got the same email that you did. It's a really good deal, I think. I have the DR-HD100, which is the previous model for the JVC cameras, and I think it's a great buy. I love using mine and use it all the time. If the new model is as good as this one, you'll love it.
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #4
New Boot

Yup

I was #47 on that list and got mine last week, I can say it is the same weight as the old unit but smaller, the carry cradle is MUCH heavier as its made of metal and is extremely beefy, however I use Velcro so its not a big deal... Roughly same boot time, but way better screen and menu structure. Smaller form factor is cool as well and its definetly sexier. Glad I was able to get on board the deal.
Shawn Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

What lists was this, is it still possible to get on it? Who did you buy it through?
Ben Garvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Garvey View Post
What lists was this, is it still possible to get on it? Who did you buy it through?
It was an email sent out from Focus directly. No idea how I ended up on it. Probably when I registered the DRHD100 I bought a while ago.
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I just ordered one. What is your opnion of the drive?
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Update

Sorry I bailed on this thread but after I ordered the unit and no one had yet replied, I figured I'd go ahead and answer my own questions.

BTW - I was offered the unit at the LAFCUG SuperMeet in San Francisco by the Focus folks - supposedly a "limited number" (50?) were being offered at the $999 price. I guess they had various promotions of that type.

I did get my unit although they accidently sent me a PAL unit first - they were very good about replacing it right away. I was still unsure about the best way to mount it to my camera but ran into the Anton-Bauer folks as well as the JVC folks at another expo and was given the exact name of the bracket I'll need to get everything attached. I first ordered the bracket from Amazon but a week later they told me they would be unable to get it. I then found it at B&H and it is, they tell me, on the way. I hope it all works as promised!

Of course, I probably should have just waited for the new JVC HM700 camera and saved myself all the trouble! :-)

Best
TVH
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Have you shot with the Drive yet? What is your initial impression? I'm crossing my fingers that the audio issues that were happening with the DR-100 are thing of the past with this new drive.
Old February 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I Also got that deal

My initial impressions of this unit… I like the metal case; however I think they should have stuck to something similar to the DR-100 and sell this super case as an extra for people who really need it, to me it seems like this case adds just a little too much weight to the back end, and I don’t like the extra bulkiness. The display is cool, however it seems like whenever I use the scroll wheel it scrolls by itself for an extra click or two or in the wrong direction? Also I HATE the fire wire cables it came with! The original was big and bulky and perfect, this tiny little wire simply won’t cut it!
Chuck Pullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Any audio issues like the DR-HD100?

How about any audio issues? I had the DR-HD100, that was plagued with issue of the drive gabbling up the audio, and emitting a high pitch hum in the background that was recorded to the footage on the drive. Has anyone experienced this with the new mr-hd100?
Ben Garvey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore