Firestore FS-4 HD Mount on DSR-250 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old March 4th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #1
New Boot

Firestore FS-4 HD Mount on DSR-250

Hi All,

I have bought an FS-4 unit to use with the DSR-250 shoulder mount camera. I would not like to mount the firestore on the shoe adapter as I feel would be bulky and would not allow me to use an on camera light. I am using a SWIT battery system with the camera.

It seems that my only options are either mounting the fs-4 on my belt or make use of Velcro to mount the unit to the battery.

What are your views and opinions on this? Do you know of any other options?

Many thanks,
Chris
Chris Farrugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm not sure I can help with the whole mounting problem but I can tell you using Velcro on the back of the battery as a mounting option is not a good idea. I just finished my first shoot with a FS-C and I mounted it to the bracket that comes on the Canon XL line which is at the back of the camera. I lost power multiple times using this mounting method. The battery doesn't have tight enough tolerances when connected to the unit, it is very easy to move it around enough that the unit loses connection with the battery, thus shutting the unit down. I hope this makes sense.
Old March 7th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #3
New Boot

I see...so that implies that some other money will be spent in order to get some type of bracket...that is bad news.
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Our photographers at work use the FS-4s attached to their belts. I was kind of suspicious of that because the clip that comes with the unit doesn't look all that sturdy. The photogs have shot at prep football games and breaking news events and the only problem they reported -- which is no fault of the FS-4s -- is that the firewire cord sometimes disconnects from the camera. But some ingenuity and a heavy-duty rubber band solved that problem.

If you're squeamish about the FS-4 getting knocked off or falling off your belt, there are sturdier universal clips available online.
Sherri Nestico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi,

I received my FS-4 todand and I found that the supplier has put the plastic cradle free of charge. What about attaching the cradle to the camera battery via Velcro?

Any other ideas? Or may be is there the possibiity to mount it on shoe but also have a shoe available for light (without breaking the budget)?

Many thanks,
Chris
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have a Sony HVR-V1U and I use the Mic Light by Prompter People. The light fits on the camera's shotgun mike, leaving my hot shoe free to mount my FS-4....although I haven't used them both at the same time so I don't know if one would interfere with the other space-wise.

As far as budget-wise, the light is only $150.

I would not, in any way, shape or form, recommend Velcro for attaching the FS-4. Even "industrial strength" Velcro is only as good as its adhesive backing - and trust me, that adhesive will fail you at the worst possible moment.
Sherri Nestico is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore