Firestore, CitiDisk, direct to DV questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old October 24th, 2003, 07:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Firestore, CitiDisk, direct to DV questions

I've read the previous threads on this issue and find the information VERY helpful. Personally leaning toward the Firestore unit. Does anyone know if there is a newer version just on the horizon? I know that the minute you buy something it's obsolete but what a bummer it would be to get one and have the newer version come out 2 weeks later. Wouldn't mind waiting if the next thing is coming out soon.

Also this may be a silly question but what would happen if you hooked a firewire camera directly to something like a LaCie or Maxtor portable HD? Is the whole point of these other units that they convert the signal into various AV formats? Just wondering. Maybe I'm not thinking through the obvious. Seems like the BIG advantage of something like Firestore is the portability, battery, case, etc. On the FS demo there is a small Apple Firewire unit shown always on top of the FS. Is this part of the original package or are these add ons for the demo? Any help and or advice greatly appreciated. Itching to get one for big project coming up and NO time to waste. THANKS!!!

p.s. has anyone tried the "SmartDisk" 80G portable firewire drive...looks pretty affordable? Opinions?
Roze Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 08:19 PM   #2

Your workflow should dictate what tools to use

Hi Roze,

I have some "Know Your Workflow" questions for you which will help to answer your questions:

What camera are you shooting with? What type of footage are you normally shooting? How many tapes do you usually shoot per day? How quickly do you need to edit the footage you acquire in the field? Do you personally log and capture your footage, or do you pay someone to do it for you? What editing system are you using? Do you ever have to pass off footage that you shot to other editors? Do they use the same editing system as you do or do they have a different brand? How do you typically purpose your final edits? How quickly do you need to output your footage to your customer(s)?

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2003, 08:19 PM   #3
Trustee

There are several updates to the Firestore unit mostly firmware and some added functionalities- such as not needing a PC to format the HD's that would be attached- it can now format the HD's within....check FocusEnhancements website for details on the latest units.... the Firestore works very well but isn't a "true" tapeless solution as it accepts commands to "rec" and "stop" when recording which most camcorders wont do unless there is a tape inserted...you can manually control the Firestore yourself as all DV camcorders output live video from the IEEE1394 port at all times- some camcorders can turn off the Firewire controls and you'd need to intiate them to work (like the Sony PDX10 and others).... don't forget you'll also need to purchase a firewire HD that is bus powered if you plan to do remote shooting- if you're gonna do studio shooting- you can use a self powered unit...

....anyway- Chris Hurd did an excellent review of the Firestore somewhere on this site- it's a definite "must read" for anyone contemplating a Firestore.

Good luck with your research.

(PS- I have a mint barely used newer type Firestore for sale- if you're interested---e-mail : stevenyc1@aol.com for details)
Old October 25th, 2003, 07:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Don & Steve...I'm shooting with a GL2 (LOVE it!). have a young fellow I'm training in NLE. He's just out of high school and very interested in this field. Good kid, quick study. I shoot almost exclusively in the field. Right now the staff is *me* and that's it. Our trainee will be great once he is up and running but that's a month or so down the road. Meanwhile... I am a firm believer in spend a little to save a lot in the edit room. Transferring footage is really a loss of valuable time if there is a faster more efficient way of doing it. Us "one horse" bizzes need all the help we can get in the efficiency department.

About other ?'s... when on a job typically shoot about 1-3 tapes a day...depending. Usually 1 or 2. Right now I'm working on an iMac with a Maxtor 160G external HD, Final Cut Express and occasionally iMovie for really small simple stuff. I'm still getting use to FCE. Hoping to upgrade to a bigger, badder computer after the holidaze :) Shooting a LOT of handheld, stuff for kids programs, Habitat for Humanity, music video type things, etc. 2 projects upcoming need to move fast so that's why I'm really serious about getting something, anything to help.

Yes I've read the DVinfo.net article. GREAT info! Also read the review on "? Cow" (can never seem to remember the name). Anyway... just asking for a little more last minute advice before purchasing. Spoke with a rep at the Firestore shop in L.A. He said no new changes on the horizon. Just upgrading software maybe waaaayyyy down the road.

OK.. maybe after a little sleep I'll get to write more. THANKS A MILLION Y'ALL!!!
Roze Ann is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore