DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   Various Firestore questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/17263-various-firestore-questions.html)

David Mesloh November 18th, 2003 01:21 AM

Various Firestore questions

Just returned from New Mexico where I DP'd an Indie short. I shot with the XL-1 attached to a FS-1 Firestore system and a 200 Gig Firewire drive. At the end of the production, I transfered the AVI files to the directors fire wire drive gave her the tapes and came home. Now I have a backup copy of all the takes for my reel,
she has the master tapes and the files ready to edit on NLE. I love this product. We watched the days shoot each night and knew if we had any problems right then. We could also playback the last take without rewindingthe tape and screwing up the time code.

Totally worth the money in saved time alone.

David Mesloh

Don Berube February 3rd, 2004 09:59 PM

FireStore FS-3 Wins a 5 Star Review and DV AWARD OF EXCELLENCE from DV Magazine

A big CONGRATULATIONS to Focus Enhancements! The FireStore FS-3 received a total of 5 Stars (out of 5 Stars) and the DV AWARD OF EXCELLENCE in the March 2004 "Shooting For Broadcast" issue of DV Magazine with a cover heading of "Focus Enhancements FS-3 Gets Disk Recording Right".

Quoting the summary of the review from DV Magazine: "...the FS-3 rises above the pure cost equation to become a multi-purpose tool easily worth the price and could even change the way you look at the world around you."

Look for the online version of the article to appear in the coming weeks at DV.com.

Way to go Focus Enhancements!

- don

Anton Sushcinsky April 13th, 2004 07:44 AM

Dsr-370p&fs-3

Does someone use sony dsr-370p with firestore fs-3 as external recorder?

George Bean July 12th, 2004 08:22 AM

frequency

This may be another of those things that only happen to me.

At a wedding this past Saturday I powered on the firestore fs-3 and immediately heard a static/interference on the church sound system. The church had several vhf receivers powered on and active on the audio board.

The receiver conflicting with the fs-3 was a Samson vhf channel 8 frequency of 196.6. The transmitter was off. I was within 15 feet of the receiver and audio board. Has anyone else encountered this?

The wireless was not in use for the wedding so I was able to power down the receiver. I am concerned if this should happen again and if there are other frequencies in question.

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Bean

Kirk Candlish July 13th, 2004 02:31 AM

Tape for backup advised with FS-1 ?

OK, I did a search and read a bunch of threads but didn't find much info.

I have a two camera shoot coming up to cover a conference. One talking head and then audience questions. Cameras will be a PD-150 and a PD-170 and I'd love to go tapeless for continuity. Since both cameras will be on tripods and won't move the FS-1 sounds like a good option.

I'm wondering if the FS-1 has proven reliable enough to forgo shooting tape as a backup ?

I see 1 post from yesterday saying that an FS-1 produced corrupted files and tape was advisable.

Anyone else have corrupted files from the FS-1 ?

Any info would be appreciated.

Marco Leavitt February 1st, 2005 09:25 AM

Canon to distribute FireStore

February 01, 2005 09:00 AM US Eastern Timezone

Canon USA to Distribute FireStore FS-4 DV Disk Recorder from FOCUS Enhancements for Mini-DV Camcorders

The Canon XL2 Mini-DV camcorder with the FireStore FS-4 from FOCUS Enhacements. (Photo: Business Wire)

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 1, 2005--

Camcorders Can Now Save Time With The New FireStore FS-4 And FS-4 Pro Direct To Edit(TM) (DTE) Recording Device

Canon U.S.A., Inc. today announced another solution for filmmakers, documentarians and videographers by becoming a distributor of the FireStore FS-4 DTE digital video-disk recorder from FOCUS Enhancements. The FireStore FS-4 and accessories will be sold through Canon U.S.A. Authorized video dealers beginning in February.

A companion for Canon prosumer camcorders, the FS-4 recorder enables DV streams to be recorded to the unit with or without a MiniDV tape inserted. Footage is recorded as edit ready files that can be imported and used immediately by most DV based non-linear editing systems, saving time, and providing a backup. The FS-4 recorder will be available in a 40GB (approximately 3 hours) model, While the FS-4 Pro recorder, which offers more advanced features will be available in 40GB and 80GB (approximately 6 hours) configurations.

"One of our main objectives for users of Canon's prosumer camcorders such as the XL2 and GL2 has always been to expand the creative visions of filmmakers," said Yukiaki Hashimoto, senior vice president and general manger, consumer imaging group, Canon U.S.A., Inc, a subsidiary of Canon, Inc. (NYSE:CAJ). "The DTE technology in the FS-4 recorder meets the very stringent requirements set by our consumers, which is why we chose to work with Focus Enhancements."

"Canon selecting FireStore Direct To Edit Technology for their disk recording needs is an important alliance for FOCUS Enhancements," said David O'Kelly, vice president of business development for FOCUS Enhancements. " We are excited that we will be further extending our acquisition solutions to Canon's broad base of creative professionals, and we look forward to a successful alliance."

The FS-4 Pro recorder adds support for the Avid OMF and Pinnacle AVI formats, and retro record modes for backup. Other features include a user definable time lapse, loop playback, scene marking, and multiple file capabilities.

The new FireStore FS-4 recorder will be available in February for the manufacturers suggested retail price (MSRP) of $799* for the standard 40GB model, while the FS-4 Pro model will be available for an MSRP of $1,195* for the 40GB model, and $1,695* MSRP for the 80GB model.

About Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Canon U.S.A., Inc. delivers consumer, business-to-business, and industrial imaging solutions. The Company is listed as one of Fortune's Most Admired Companies in America and is rated #35 on the BusinessWeek list of "Top 100 Brands." Its parent company Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ) is a top patent holder of technology, ranking third overall in the U.S. in 2004, with global revenues of $33.3 billion. For more information, visit www.usa.canon.com.

About FOCUS Enhancements, Inc.

FOCUS Enhancements, Inc. (NASDAQ SC: FCSE) is a leading designer of world-class solutions in advanced, proprietary video technology. Headquartered in Campbell, CA, FOCUS Enhancements designs, develops, and markets video solutions in two distinct markets: advanced, proprietary video conversion ICs (Integrated Circuits) and affordable, high quality, digital-video conversion and video production equipment. Semiconductor products (ICs) include designs for PCs, Game Cards, Internet TV, set-top boxes, Internet appliances, and interactive TV applications, and they are sold directly to Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs). FOCUS' complete line of video presentation and video production devices are sold globally through resellers and distributors to the video production and Home Theater markets. More information on FOCUS Enhancements may be obtained from the company's SEC filings, or by visiting the FOCUS Enhancements home page at FOCUSinfo.com.

All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.

Specifications are subject to change with notice.

Canon products must be purchased separately.

*All prices are set by the individual dealer and may vary.
Contacts
Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Editorial:
Deborah Szajngarten, 516-328-5186
dszajngarten@cusa.canon.com
or
Geoff Coalter, 516-328-4288
gcoalter@cusa.canon.com
or
For sales info/customer support:
1-800-OK-CANON
ccenter@cits.canon.com
or
Canon U.S.A. Web site:
http://www.usa.canon.com
www.canondv.com.com
At A Glance

Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Headquarters: Lake Success, New York
CEO: Kinya Uchida
Employees: Over 10,000
Organization: U.S. Subsidiary

Source: via Business Wire
Updated 08/26/2003 by company
Company Information Center

Terms of Use | © Business Wire 2005

David Yuen March 18th, 2005 12:23 AM

Description of Retro Cache?

On what page of the User Guide is Retro Cache described? I was able to find a detailed description of Retro Disk on page 32, but could only find a brief instruction on how to adjust Retro Cache on page 33.

Mihnea De Vries April 17th, 2005 05:57 AM

does FS4 work with Panasonic DVX102AE?

i own a DVX102AE (Manufacturer SKU: AGDVX102AE) and i want to know if FS4 si compatible with this PAL version of DVX100A.

I understand that there is a PAL version of FS4, and i want to know if can record 25p becouse the DVX102AE has a 25p mode not 24p mode as NTSC version.

Can FS4 PAL version record 25p AVI or 25p quicktime files?

Mihnea de Vries

David Bird April 23rd, 2005 09:01 AM

Need Help - Fs-1?

I have a couple of industrial shoots coming up....the concept of shooting, bringing a device back to my office and not having to transfer footage really, really sounds like workflow heaven...BUT..while the FS-3 is probably the best solution, my budget just won't allow it...
I have a Pana AG-DVC200....and I'm wondering about the FS-1. All of the stuff I will be shooting is tripod based...no run and gun...a lot of the footage will be testimonials - interior based - some will be outside shots...a general mix. A couple of questions...

1. How "portable" is portable...I understand that there is a "belt loop" in the FS-1 case...anyone ever actually worn one of these while working...if so, does it get cumbersome
2. What about if you do shoot while walking...any problems with the normal jolts from walking...dropped frames, etc.
3. Compatibility with Vegas 5....seems I read somewhere that there might be issues with the FS-1 and Vegas 5
4. I'm seeing "closeout special" pricing...does this mean the FS-1 is going away and if so, should that deter me from purchasing this unit...
5. Lastly, (sorry for all the questions) I've seen posts that indicate problems with a number of different drives recommended for this unit...Is it going to be a major hassle to find a drive that actually works...

I appreciate any and all input from those of you that might assist...

David Bird

George Johnston June 15th, 2005 04:35 PM

FS-4 two months later...the good and the bad

A 2.5 hour show takes just 16 mins to load onto a SATA drive thats the good news...
The bad news...

1. I dar'nt leave the battery connected to the unit or the FS-4 can be accidently powered on if it leans against something, this in my opinnion is a serious design flaw as the FS-4 could fry inside it's holder in my case a red pouch.

2. The battery is far to stiff and takes a screw driver in order to prize it off.

3. When I connect the drive to my Mac via the external power supply I get a 1 min power warning and it switches itself off...this is cured if I connect the power supply 1st.

4. I had a DV cable go down on me and can I add it has had little use and no abuse.

Arnaldo Paixao July 11th, 2005 02:56 AM

Unable to Update Firmware.

Tried to update the firmware on a FS4 Ser. N: 002640, from Ver. 1.0.0.04022205 to 1.0.0.04042605.

I get the following message:
"UPGRADE ERROR - WRONG PRODUCT ID"

Matt McEwen, can you help?

Best regards,
Arnaldo

Mark Geiser July 11th, 2005 04:31 AM

Firmware Upgrade on Pro made it noisier !

I have to say that after I upgraded my Fs4 Pro 80GB version it is now far more noisier. Before the fan hardly seemed to come on and during 2 weddings it never was an issue (although I dont have it mounted on the camera).

For those that have been following my posts, you will know that I have always said that my 80GB fs4 was nothing like the 40GB version in terms of fan noise, I have hardly ever noticed it on, and if left idle it never really came on, where as now it does. :-(

The Fan seems to come on after 39c and indeed goes off at 39C if you blow into the bottom of the unit to cool it..

All being said I prefered the previous firmware !!!!

Mark

Ron Edwards July 11th, 2005 06:27 PM

GY-DV5100 & DR-DV5000

I read this combo is good for 10 minutes continous recording. What happens after 10 minutes when the action does not stop?

Shane Reeves July 12th, 2005 01:39 AM

What HDD/enclosure brand and model for FS-1?

Having problems with finding a drive / enclosure combination that will work with my FS-1.
Can anyone give me a brand and model number of a 2.5" HDD firewire enclosure combination (hopefully I can get here in Australia)?

I have had a few problems with getting my FS-1 going (see Thread titled no video no audeo). I have not given up and now would like to try a HDD exactly the same as another that does work on other FS-1s'.

Am looking forward to hearing from you, and thanks for your attention.

Regards
Shane Reeves
Geelong
Australia

Robert Mackman July 16th, 2005 01:31 AM

FS-1 Playback

Has anyone experienced problems with playing back clips from the FS-1?
Every 30 seconds or so the clips jumps back a few frames.
This only happens with units with version 2.3.3 firmware. I also have a unit with 2.3.1 which works fine. Unfortunately 2.3.3 units must have a hardware difference as I cannot back rev the firmware. I sent a unit back to Focus and it was returned, after a couple of months, with exactly the same fault.
My units are PAL.

Robert

Frank Dago July 20th, 2005 07:53 PM

How to upgrade FS4 from 40GB to 80GB ?

I have opened the case and find the connection is very delicate and my question is what is the proper way to remove the connector (tools or hand)?

Frank Dago July 21st, 2005 08:40 PM

FS4 Noisy Fan

Is it ok to unplug the fan ? As it is way too loud even after FWare upgrade.

Mark A. Foley July 26th, 2005 07:09 PM

Clear/Soft Protective Plastic on FS-4

Does anyone know where I can get some of the clear/soft plastic protective sheeting that come on the Firestore from the factory? Like to keep the face in good shape as much as possible while being handled in the field

Ray Liffen August 4th, 2005 02:20 PM

Mounting the FS-4 on a camcorder

For early adopters, here's a way that costs UK £8.99 (about US$14?).

Early adopters got the FS-4 holster as part of the package. The holster is threaded to take a tripod screw.

Buy the Hama Shoe Mount (£8.99 from Keene www.keene.co.uk ) which takes you from tripod threaded screw to camcorder hot shoe. The Shoe Mount has two knurled locking nuts so the Mount can be locked to the holster and then to the camera once clipped into the hot shoe.

Used directly, the FS-4 will lie flat, and parallel to the camera body, but I generally use an L-bracket so the FS-4 will stand vertically (easier to check the blue screen)

Ray Liffen

Rick Sutter August 22nd, 2005 02:52 PM

TC with FS-4?

I have looked a few places in my manual and online and not sure if I am able to capture the TC when I use my FS-4 and my TRV900 camera. Is this possible or is time code only available with the Pro FS-4's?

Mark Whittle September 1st, 2005 09:44 PM

Inconsistent start up

Yesterday was my biggest shoot with the FS-4 so far after several shorter shoots. I use it with an XL1s and roll tape as a backup.

There are two issues concerning me. The first is sometimes the unit doesn't power up, causing a significant delay while everyone waits for me to try again. I don't know whether it is me holding the button down for too long (or not long enough), or my unit has an intermittent fault.

Secondly, when it does power up, sometimes it is in the right mode (synchro slave) and ready to go, in which case the cam VF indicates [STOP] mode. Other times, the camera indicates the FS-4 isn't ready and when I go through the menu on the FS-4 it is back on local mode.

I always power up the cam first as recommended so I don't know why this happens. It causes many annoying delays and also I end up recording shots on tape that don't make it onto FS-4.

Yesterday I was waiting for chickens to hatch and missed the "money shot" due to this.

The other major issue (I'm sorry, this makes 3) is the battery life. I wouldn't be so worried about power up/down problems if the battery would last. I know a longer life battery is now available but for those of us who have the holder mounted to our cameras, this holder won't accommodate the bigger battery.

May I suggest that a bigger holder be made and supplied with the bigger battery when purchased by those of us who bought the field kit?

Chris Frisella September 25th, 2005 11:03 AM

FS-4 24p PROBLEM please help

I use my FS-4 (not pro) with an XL2, and edit in FCP 4.5. When I record to 'Quicktime 24p' roughly the last 10 seconds of video becomes corrupt or something. They play back as a checkerboard of many different colors. The audio still plays through, it's just the video that's messed.

Anyone else experience this? Any known fixes?

Thanks

Chris

Erwin van Doorne September 28th, 2005 02:45 PM

FS-4 some problems

There's a strange bug in my FS-4. The charge light is always on when a battery is attached. It shines in orange-red and the only way to stop the led is to remove the battery.

Looking at the battery and battery connectors on the FS-4 I see that there are 4 metal connection parts on the battery but only three connectors sticking out on my FS-4. Can anyone check for me how it looks on there unit?

And are people having problem with the FS-4 running hot quickly when attached with firewire to a Mac?

TIA

Erwin.

David Mesloh October 9th, 2005 11:49 PM

FS-3 support

Most of the threads seem to be about the FS-4. I have the FS-3 and have been using it with the XL-2. Will I be able to upgrade the FS-3 for use with the
Canon HD-1?

Doyle Keeton October 20th, 2005 01:08 PM

GPI for FS-1

I need to pause a FS-1 with GPI. I need a cable with a push button. Any thoughts?
Doyle

Bob Irwin November 4th, 2005 12:56 PM

FS-2E and FS-2 software update

Anyone heard what the release date is on this yet? Matt?

Joe Moulins November 8th, 2005 03:34 PM

Anyone used FS-4 HD upgrade yet?

Has anyone ordered and received their hd upgrade yet? We ordered one October 27 and still haven't received it. Email enquiries to Focus have bounced back.

Chris C. Corfield January 9th, 2006 09:35 PM

Underwater housing

Does anyone here have an Equinox Pro Pak 8 housing? If so would an FS-4 fit inside on the housing. I will have the rear mount LCD so the cameras LCD will be folded in.

Thanks
Chris

Colin McFadden February 25th, 2006 07:54 PM

Mounting FS4Pro on XL-H1?

So, I'm still waiting on my Firestores (Focus has shipped me the wrong products twice now ...), but I'm wondering how people are mounting the Firestore on their XL-H1. I know I can use the mount kit to put it in the hotshoe, but is it possible to secure it to the accessory holder as well?

Thanks!

Matt Gottshalk March 1st, 2006 08:01 PM

Firestore FS-3 problems

I have a FS-3 that I have been using with my Sony DSR-500 DVCam.

It has worked VERY well up until tonite, when I was packing for a shoot and doing an equipment test, My camera would flash the "warning" light when the FS-3 was attached and powered up, both with AC power or a battery.

If I took the FS-3 off and just powered the camera normally via the AC or battery everything looks fine.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Greg Corke March 6th, 2006 01:06 PM

anyone used this with hd100?

Hi Guys,

Well I sent my firestore back to ZHoldan the Uk reps for Focus. They said the unit worked fine with the Ap1 they tested it with. Trouble is this is 1080i. As I said to thne technician it seems diffcult to rule out a problem with the unit unless you test with the same format as you have a problem with in this case 720p 24fps. Now it may be the case that there is a problem with my camera and Holdan are sending me a completely new unit to rule out the Firestore. My main question though is this, has anyone actually tried a firestore with the HD100 and had any success. I know the kind of process power needed for progressive is a fair bit more than interlaced and I'm wondering if theses units can actually handle it? Love to hear some feedback guys.

Regards Greg C

Tim Selander March 7th, 2006 09:42 AM

Trouble with my FS-3; "looses" disk

Hi! I just sent the following to Focus' support email, but it occured to me that other FS-3 users may have already had this problem and be willing to help me trouble shoot. I did search past posts without avail... Thanks!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hi,

I have an FS-3, using it with a Panasonic AG-DVC200 full size DV camera, using the Anton Bauer mount.

While recording, (synch mode, if that matters), every so often the unit suddenly loses the normal LCD display that shows the time code, etc., and shows the "No Disk Detected" screen. (Can't remember the exact words, but it's the same message you get if you power up the unit without the hard disk in it.)

Needless to say, the shot being recorded is ruined. Also requires powering off the unit to get it to recognize the drive again. Once, while rolling, I heard a clunk from the drive and looked down just in time to see the LCD roll over to the no disk message.

At times, I haven't noticed that it has lost track of the drive for several takes. This is the biggest problem, as I can't be sure how many takes I've missed.

I am guessing that the hard drive is failing, or perhaps the firewire connecting in the drive and/or disk slot of the main unit. I have reformatted the drive, and tried different FW cables between camera and FS-3, but I still have the problem. Happens four or five times in a day's shooting, and not being able to trust the unit is taking away 90% of it's value for our workflow.

Is this a problem you've run across with other users, and how would you recommend I trouble shoot the unit to try to figure out what's going wrong?

Many thanks for your help.

Tim Selander

Matthew Fink March 14th, 2006 05:38 PM

FS-4 long battery mount idea and a problem...

Hey everyone,

I just got my FS-4 (non pro) and captured 1 hour of continuous video. When brought into premiere pro I notice that it does not line up perfectly between 9 minute clips. I lose maybe a frame inbetween - you can see the jump. Someone else was having this problem also - anyone else have it or know of a solution? So far I had no problems with the fan noise and all the clips look ok and sound ok, they just dont flow perfectly.

As far as an idea for a quick fix for the extended battery with the on camera mount...I used a flash bracket (or something similar) and all I did was turn the drive around in the holster (I have it standing up vertical) and twisted it around with the manfrotto head, and used a velcro strap to hold it into place just in case...works fine! Just a quick fix...

-Matt

Chris C. Corfield March 29th, 2006 08:57 PM

Firestore FYI belt clip

Just got back from a hike where my firestore took a fall. Have been using it for the past six or so hikes to film to on the belt clip. Today while walking the unit fell off and onto the ground. Luckily it was loose stone and not asphalt. But the culprit was the screw that holds the round button that slides into the belt clip. The screw undid itself enough to let the unit fall. This is just to let others know to keep it in mind and LockTite that screw in place.

Chris

Joe Matyas April 19th, 2006 02:10 PM

Portable Battery Pack for FS-4

As an avid FS-4 user, I have developed a portable battery pack for use with the FS-4/100. I have over 685 hours of field testing in its development. Check it out at:

http://www.powerbagjunior.com

Thanks,

joe

Don Boosinger May 6th, 2006 07:38 PM

FS-4 Remote Control

I am thinking of purchasing the remote control for the FS-4. I have not been able to find any information about this product can anyone tell me the functions provided by this unit?

Gary Fisher Dawson September 19th, 2006 06:24 PM

FS-4(Pro)HD out of sinc . . .

Can anyone address a problem I am having with my FS-4 regarding a delay in the audio signal? I posted the following yesterday.

I am shooting our pilot for an Internet sitcom using an XL2 and the Firestore FS-4(Pro)HD as our primary storage device, and we are having trouble that we can't figure out. The audio and visual are out of sinc. This occurs both while shooting and editing. Though we are using FCP-HD, we are shooting in SD at 24P. From all we can determine, the camera presets for a cine look at 24P are correct, including the settings for the F4, as well as the settings in FCP for 24P. The F4 is a wonderful product and we wish were not having this problem at this critical time. Fortunately, as you know, the F4 requires a back-up DV tape for function, so we have all our material saved. However, the DTE makes it so much faster and easier to capture on timeline. Can any of you assist?

Gary Fisher Dawson

Steve Nunez October 16th, 2006 10:01 PM

Quickstream DV

Anyone using the Quickstream DV device- how's it working?

I'm torn between the FS-4 and Quickstream DV with a DVX100B....any comments?

Rich Raney October 27th, 2006 07:37 AM

Two FS-100 - HVX200 rigs in action

To see a First Draft commercial - click here: http://www.ceroproductions.com/video/Elkins.mov

International producers On Digital (New Zealand) & Colorado Video Production (DP Rich Raney) shoot and produce a national ad campaign for the international company, James Hardie Siding, in DVCPRO 50 on the Panasonic HVX200 P2 camera.

Denver, CO (PRWEB via PRWeb) September 12, 2006 -- Production Team: Producer, Nick Tapper, Director, Clinton Phillips, and Colorado Video Production DP, Rich Raney, produce a U.S. national ad campaign for the international company, James Hardie Siding.

James Hardie, Regional Marketing Specialist Marc Setty was onboard for the three state 7-day production schedule. "It was an aggressive but rewarding shoot," said DP Rich Raney, "For the first leg we shot in three separate states in three days." Raney went on to say. "We had 9 crew members on the Denver leg of the shoot, including two jib arms, a 5ton grip truck (LSD-Tom Cheatham, Denver), makeup and two DP's."

Raney and AC Chris de la Garza shot 12 hours of footage on two of the new Panasonic HVX200 P2 cameras in the DVCPRO 50 format. "We captured the footage on the Focus Firestore FS-100 portable Hard Drives -- what an amazing camera, beautiful color saturation and flawless performance from both units!" said DP Raney, "We shot in a dusty factory, multiple homes in close quarters and suspended from 25' jib arms without a single problem!" Raney went on to say that the client opted to shoot in DVCRO 50, SD 480X60i to make the post production import of the native MXF files easier with their Avid Xpress system. "Regardless of the frame rate you choose the DVCPRO 50 format offers broadcast 4:2:2 color space with added chroma resolution," Raney said. AC Chris de la Garza added, "We are totally sold on the P2 format, our Company will shoot tapeless where ever and when ever possible!" He went on to describe the P2 workflow: "We would mount the cameras for a shot in matching Time Code, capture the video/audio on the Firestore hard drives, dismount the drives and connect them to a Sony Vaio laptop via firewire then dump the footage onto a separate 500gig external drive in separate folders for easy identification."

New Zealand Producer Nick Tapper offered this comment about the shoot: "The entire production was a complete success, the Colorado Production team was Efficient, Professional and on Budget."

James Hardie, Vice President of International Business, Jamie Chilcoff had this to say, "We are excited and extremely pleased with the results!"

To see a First Draft commercial - click here: http://www.ceroproductions.com/video/Elkins.mov

Geoff Murillo October 29th, 2006 10:11 PM

Focus Firestore Encoder Application?

Hi Matt,

I own a JVC GY-HD100U and a Firestore DR-HD100 recorder. I have a project that I shot and started editing on a PC, but need to finish on a MAC in Final Cut Studio. I understand that I cannot import the raw M2T files into Final Cut Pro, but I would like to edit in native HDV within Final Cut Pro.

I try to setup my DR-HD100 as an av/c device to capture the 24p files within Final Cut, but I haven't had any luck (my MAC will not recognize it as an audio video device). I have no problems with this workflow if it will work for me, but it doesn't. What do I need to do to get my MAC to recognize my DR-HD100?

I have the most recent updates to OS X, Final Cut Studio and QT to support 24p Final Cut capture.

Your firmware for the drive (I understand it currently supports 30p only, but you are planning on 24p support) does this upon recording (taking the m2t info and wrapping it into a QT HDV file). Have you thought about a stand-alone MAC application to transcode any original M2T files into QT wrapped files?

This would fill a major gap for every Final Cut Editor using your product, as well as anyone who has had to capture their clips on a PC and import them into a MAC. I've done some tests with Lumiere, HDVxDV and MPEGStreamclip, and they are all great applications, but they have to recompress the M2T streams into 720 24p HDV to output the files. The quality is noticably lower than the source files.

If your drive can do this (changing the M2T files into QT HDV files, recording on the fly), can you PLEASE create an application to transcode existing M2T files, without recompressing them, as your drive does?

Sincerely,

Geoff Murillo