AVID OMF no audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old December 14th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AVID OMF no audio

Anyone else using this format?

I import the OMF file into a bin in Avid Xpress Pro. The 2 audio tracks are there but they are blank.

Any ideas?

Steve Brame
Old December 15th, 2003, 08:50 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

What camera are you using with this system? I'm asuming you are
getting audio if you capture directly from the camera? Are you
sure you recorded audio at all?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2003, 01:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It is independent of camera. I've used a JVC DV500, Canon XL1, Panasonic DVX100. I can play the corresponding AIFF files in QuickTime, so the audio is recording. It just doesn't make it into Avid.
Old December 15th, 2003, 01:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Also, this occured when I was usinf Avid Xpress DV. We just started using Raw DV files instead of OMF.
Old December 15th, 2003, 11:17 PM   #5
Focus Enhancements

Steve,

Audio should work with any Avid application. How are you bringing the files into Avid? If you are using the traditional File -> Import, this is incorrect. This will result in a period of time to import the clip into Avid which doesn't let you take full advantage of DTE Technology.

Here is the steps to using files in Avid:

1. Connect the FireWire disk drive to your computer.
2. Create a Folder on the drive called "OMFI MediaFiles" (has to be that exact folder name - this can be done automatically on FS-3/DR-DV5000, see the manual).
3. Drag all the recorded clips into the Folder then launch Avid.
4. Once launched, select Tools -> Media Tool. Then select the FireWire drive, all the clips you wish to import and "All Projects".
5. Once opened, select all the clips from the new Media Tool window and drag them to you bin.

You should now be able to edit instantly with any clips selected.

For more information, see Avid support in the FireStore manuals. If you are still having trouble, there may be something else wrong. Call our tech support line at 408-370-9963.

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 07:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

You can't drag files from the Media Tool into a bin. At least not on Avid Xpress Pro or Avid Xpress DV...or at least not on the systems here in our suite.

But I did fix the problem. I wasn't copying the OMFI files into my OMFI MediaFiles folder before importing them. I was trying to import them straight from the FireStore's drive. Once they had been copied to my OMFI MediaFiles folder I was able to import them via File-Import into the bin and the audio was then present.

You manual specifically outlined the incorrect preocedure I was using. Here is the excerpt...

"It is also possible to import the FireStore
recorded files onto your Avid system’s media
drives. To do this, select File -> Import. Find
the external FireWire drive and import the
file(s) onto the media drive."

Note that there is no mention of first copying the files into your OMFI MediaFIles folder. Using the files directly from my FireStore's connected drive isn't an option in our suite. We have to bring them into our main RAID's OMFI MediaFiles folder. We use the FireStore on a daily basis, and can't have the drive chained to our editing system, and we can't afford to buy a new drive for every project.

But anyway, now that the problem is solved, I'm very happy with the device. It saves an amazing amount of time!!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore