I ordered my new FS-H200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old July 20th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

I ordered my new FS-H200

After selling my trusty FS-4HD on Ebay I ordered a new FS-H200 from the VideoGuys. I originally wanted a new JVC HM-700 that uses the SDHC memory cards but my budget could not afford selling my HD100U camera for the newer one. No more tape jams or spinning hard drives for me. I have had great success with my FS-4HD and am looking forward to the new unit.
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Major Player

let me know how was it

Hey Mark would you please post back when you have the H200 please. Tel us what you think about it i mean eveything that you know expect and unexpect please. I'm looking to get one too. I'm currently have the sony MRC1 and the DR-HD110 for JVC wich co-brand wit JVC. I'm very fustrated with the Sony for the fact that it keep go into computer mode and it pissed me off. thank you Mark
Thanh Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I will post my feedback. Since JVC and Focus Enhancements have worked so well togther with my FS-4HD I expect the FS-H200 will work as well or better for me. I also will be testing it on the Canon XHA1 as well.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Very interested in seeing how this works too. I have a similar setup. JVC HD100au and the DR HD100 Firestore.
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Regular Crew

A year and a half ago I had the opportunity to purchase a FS-4HD at a good price and since then I have become a big fan of the DTE technology. Now it was time for me to upgrade and I wanted a new JVC HM-700 but could not afford the price. My wish was soon answered when Focus Enhancements announced the new FS-H200 Portable Compact Flash DTE Recorder.

My FS-H200 has finally arrived, this was to replace FS-4HD on my JVC GY-HD 100 (I sold the FS4-HD on Ebay for $450). After researching the various prices I made my purchase from the VIDEOGUYS.COM website (with the DVinfo members discount and the combo package that included a Sandisk 32gb flash card they have the best price): Videoguys.com - Focus FS-H200 with Sandisk 32GB Extreme III CompactFlash

Out of the box the unit worked (already familiar with the FS-4HD operation) after shooting footage in m2t HDV and following the easy instructions I hooked up a USB cable and downloaded the footage into my Mac using Streamclip to convert the files into a Quicktime format. The controls are easier than the FS-4HD and as soon as the unit powered up it was ready to work.

Next after shooting footage in native Quicktime I noticed the file was blank after downloading to the Mac. Calling the Focus Enhancements tech line they informed me that I needed to use the latest Final Cut Pro and upgrade my OP system to Leopard and that my Final Cut Pro Lite was not compatible.

My final solution was to stick with shooting in m2t and use Streamclip to convert to Quicktime.

Next I will be hooking the FS-H200 to my Canon XHA1.

Last edited by Mark Boyer; July 28th, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks....

Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to post. Please let me know how it goes with the XHA1 and which frame rates it supports.

Thanks again.
Paul Chiappini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #7
Major Player

thank you

Thank you Mark for taking time post back the result. Can you please let me know how long does it take to power it up? You haven't got time to do a full battery run yet but just wondering if you notice any improvement on the battery Focus enhancements seem to bee really suck at battery i have DR-HD100 recorder and the battery not that good i have to plug into my idx and danm it can run 2 day with one idx.

Did you use cached recording on the unit yet does it give you trouble. I mean if you record a clip and then hit stop and hit record right away will the unit confuse or will it it do the job right away.

Question about Streamclip. How fast does the Streamclip convert the M2T to MOV. Have you ever use clipwrap does it any better between the two.

Hey Paul

From what i know. If you use the unit with the A1 you can only record MOV file under 60i only. If you do 30f or 24f you have to use M2T

Thank again Mark
Thanh Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I haven't tested the battery life, I plan on ordering an extra battery soon, I always have a backup.

The cached recording works well and I did not notice any problems.

Streamclip converts a 30 minutes m2t file to Quicktime in about 5 minutes on my Mac and you can select only a portion and pre edit the video before converting.

The unit records: m2t HDV (720p 24/25/30/50/60, 1080i 50/60/24F/25F/30F)
QuickTime HDV (720p 30, 1080i 50/60)
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the info. I saw the FS-H200 announcement and immediately went to the Focus Enhancement site where their camera compatibility chart only shows the DR-100 and the MR-11 for the GY-HD100. Are their any features you give up by using it for the HD-100 or 110. Does FE support the unit if you use it with these cameras?
Thanks,
Ed
Ed Dooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Never mind. I read your other thread about its compatibility. Let's keep it in one thread if we can.
Ed
Old July 30th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #11
Regular Crew

There is no viewfinder information when you use the FS-H200 and the JVC GY-HD 100/110 cameras (just the same as it was with the FS-4HD)
Old August 3rd, 2009, 08:03 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Hey Mark,
And new information on your FS-200? How's it working out for you, any gotchas
or helpful info?
Thanks,
Ed
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:57 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Everything works as well on the FS-H200 as my older FS-4HD. So far flawless operatiion. Maybe this next weekend I will get a chance to test it on my Canon XHA1.
Old August 5th, 2009, 05:49 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Can anyone post or do you know of a place that has clips up of m2t files from a firestore recorded from a JVC ProHD camera in 24p? I want to do a test import into Avid to check my workflow before I buy one of these...

Can anyone comment on .m2t files into Avid on a PC?
Taylor Brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I just spoke with Focus Enhancements and the informed me that all of the units they sell that record in Quicktime HD will only work with Apples Finalcut Pro 6.0 due to a new codec in the program.
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore