Hard Drive Recomendations for FS1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old April 6th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Hard Drive Recomendations for FS1?

I just got an FS1 and found out the hard way that the new LaCIE 120 GB drives are not compatible with the FS1.

Tech support at Focus Enhancements was aware of this problem and told me that the new LaCIE drivers were updated and recomended that I backdate the HDD drivers to the previous version. LaCIE tech support has been unsuccessful in helping me backdate all the drives, however, I was able to backdate one (of 5 drives) and the FS1 still fails to recognize it.

Sorry for the long sad story, my questions are: 1) has anyone had success using any 120 GB HDDs with the FS1?, 2) What hard drives of any size would you recommend?

Thanks for any advice you may have -
Regards,
Paul
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #2
Focus Enhancements

Hi Paul,

Sorry you ran into this issue. We have posted the work around on the Focus supoort site FAQs...

http://www.focusinfo.com/support/faq/firestorefaq.htm#lacie

Hope that helps.
Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hello Matt:
Thank you for your reply.

I have already attempted to backdate my drives. I just now however followed your instructions and had the same result as I did yesterday.

The FS1 still fails to recognize the 120 GB LaCIE drive. Mike from your tech support dept helped me through the process yesterday. We connected a backdated drive, but when we attempted to partion the drive, it just kept on partioning...I let it go for over three hours before I turned it off. Mike said that the partitioning process should take a matter of minutes if the drive is recognized by the FS1. He also said that they have not tested very many 120 GB drives so he suggested I try 80GB drives instead.

That's why I'm asking for recommendations from other users for drives that are field proven to be compatible with the FS1. I would also like to know if anyone has tried using 120 GB drives and if so, what brand?

Thanks for your help,
Paul
Old April 6th, 2004, 03:52 PM   #4
Focus Enhancements

Paul,

What model Lacie drive are you using? I'd like to look into this issue.

Thanks,
Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 04:09 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hello Matt:
I am using the LaCie d2, 7200 rpm 120 GB Firewire drive.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Lohbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:36 PM   #6
Tourist

LaCie Drive

We just started using the FS-1 and a LaCie drive. Had the same problems at first and then loaded the back rev. provided by Focus Enhancements. I think the trick is to down and unzip the firmware file. Once unzipped, it should appear on your desktop. Unplug your LaCie, run the firmware downgrade and then plug your drive back in. This is how I was able to get it to run.

Good Luck
Steve Ross
Steve Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hello Steve,
I have been able to back rev two of my LaCie drives but they still fail to be recognized by the FS-1.

Tech Support at Focus Enhancements thinks that it may be because they are 120 GB drives. They have suggested that I use 80 GB drives. I have since purchased Acom Data 80 GB drives which began working immediately.

What size are your LaCie Drives?

Thanks,
Paul
Paul Lohbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Problem Solved:
Thanks to Paul and everyone at Focus Enhancements tech support for your help. The solution was to reset the FS1. The LaCie 120 GB drives now work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore