Great if I could put my 80gb hd in FS-4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old September 30th, 2004, 07:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Great if I could put my 80gb hd in FS-4

I would like to mod an FS-4, the 40gb is not big enough and I don't need the extra features that come with 80gb the pro version.

I read and already know that swapping drives would void the warranty, but is it possible to do it anyways?

First I'd like to know whether the FS-4 can use drives larger than 40gb, can it handle the 80gb too?

Can I just drop in my own travelstar into the unit and expect it to run, or does the FS need to have an OS or certain system folders on the hd? Do I format the drive in FAT32 or NTFS?

Thanks!
Roger Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #2
Focus Enhancements

Hi Roger,

Physically, the 40Gb and 80Gb TravelStar drives inside of FS-4 and FS-4 Pro are the same. Changing the drive on the system is not recommended by Focus. Things are pretty tight within the enclosure and anything not put back together correctly could effect the units performance in terms of shock and thermals.

As you have also correctly pointed out, the warranty will also be void if any modifications have taken place.

hope that helps,

Matt McEwen
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #3
Major Player

Similar question for the fs-3. Can I replace the 40gb drive with the 80gb travelstar? Here are the specs from the Hitachi site:

Capacity - Ranging from 20 to 80GB
5,400 rpm rotational speed
Interface - ATA-6 hard disk drive
Areal densities of up to 70Gbits/sq.inch
Operational shock rating of up to 200Gs (2ms)

This is the travlestar 5k80, 80gb capacity. I believe the performance is equivalent to the 40gb drive supplied with the fs-3.

Is this drive compatible, will the firmware recognize it, any issues to consider?

Realizing the warranty may be voided any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2004, 07:37 PM   #4
Major Player

Yes, No, Maybe?
George Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2004, 12:28 PM   #5
Focus Enhancements

Hi George,

With the FS-3, the TravelStar series that is 9.5mm high as you have described is the drive we use. There should not be any issues with compatibility, however, we do add a sorbathane anti-shock strip around the drive when it is placed into the enclosure which is not re-usable. It is also quite tight in there. Replacing the drive yourself is not recommended as we cannot guarantee shock and thermal performance and as you have already pointed out, it will void the warranty.

Best regards,

Matt McEwen
Old November 6th, 2004, 11:41 AM   #6
Major Player

Well When one open the unit then he does ntice th way he has to repck. One straight question >>>>> When we change 40 GB to 80GB HArd then would FS3 reord peoperly...yes there are no shocks as its tripod mounted ... I am plannin to use a Laptop Hrd in a enclosure (just the same for FS3) that someone is manufacturing here. I hope it does work properly !!!
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #7
Focus Enhancements

Hi Bankim,

FS-3 will have no problem recognizing the different drive capacities. However, as we have mentioned before, if modifications are made to the FSHDD-1, we can no longer guarantee performance and the warranty is voided.

Hope that helps,
Matt
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:19 AM   #8
Major Player

Wel Matt what type of drive do we use if at all we decide to use a higher capa drive in fshdd empty casing is it a normal hdd that is being used in any lptops or if diff would u pls specify !!!

:o)
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #9
Focus Enhancements

The only drive we have qualified so far with the FSHDD-1 is the 5400RPM, 8MB cache, 2.5" Hitachi TravelStar.

Matt
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:05 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi Matt Thnks for you prompt reply. FireStore Rocks and if i am able to use a much higher capacity drive I am sure it shall futhure rock rock & SHOCK !!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore