FS-1 in the field at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old April 19th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #1
Trustee

FS-1 in the field

I looked and I think this has to be the slowest forum at dvinfo... ;)

It sounds do-able. I have an need to do all day recording at some events where wires are BAD. So, I need to have the camera stand alone. OK, stick with tape... but, I also need to get video back to a 'sales' booth to show and for edit. Broadcast is out as I do not have the budget to buy more cameras and hardware in that price range (at Drum Corps International finals, the crew even uses a wireless broadcast with a hand-held antenna!)

So, I am thinking a FS-1 (the price is better than the newer versions) with the Field Kit, some NP-1 batteries and maybe three Firewire drives. Still will do tape, but does anyone know of glaring issues?
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 07:32 AM   #2
Major Player

George

i am trying to figure out the workflow for all day events myself.

The FS1 is an option except that you need two at least if you want to be able to bring back footage during the day
Old April 22nd, 2005, 01:26 PM   #3
Trustee

I would only actually need one at the camera. If I use bus powered drives, I can take them straight to an editor for a copy to NLE for a quick arrange and even possibly prodution of a DVD. I could create my DVD templates, graphics, and titles ahead of time and have a library of music on the machine gen'ed from my tools. So, I should be able to setup a preview and burn operation on demand after the drive is pulled. I would need at least 2 80GB drives.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 04:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ellis
I would only actually need one at the camera.
Only if you have enought time to copy the data. If you have a full day of shooting without long breaks you would need at least 2 of them
Old April 24th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

George,
I also considering going to an FS-1 (for budget reasons)...I THINK I'm seeing price drops on this unit....do you have any experience with the FS-1
Thanks - David Bird
David Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #6
Trustee

No experience either. The other solution I have is a $270 comsumer DV cam. I can run the tapes and draw from those, but it is 1:1 speed. Cheap to implement, but not what I want for response time.
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I spoke with a retailer this morning that advised the FS-1 has (or will) been discontinued...there will be ongoing support for the unit. I checked with several other retailers and they told me the same thing....
David Bird
David Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Salzlechner
Only if you have enought time to copy the data. If you have a full day of shooting without long breaks you would need at least 2 of them
Sorry, but this is incorrect. The FS-1 itself is simply a bridge between the camcorder and a portable FireWire hard drive. You need only *one* FireStore FS-1, plus as many portable FW hard drives as you think you'll need; although a single 120GB drive will provide you with more than eight hours of recording time... which is a pretty full day.

Also, there is no need to "copy" the data from the hard drive... simply plug your portable FW drive into your editing system, drag and drop the files into your timeline and you're ready to edit. The fact that you don't have to copy the data is one of the big advantages of the Direct-To-Edit solutions that the FireStore provides.

For more information about the FireStore FS-1, what it does and how it works, see my FireStore article located at http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/camaccs/firestore.php

Even though the FS-1 has been discontinued, you can often find them in good used condition in our Private Classifieds forum. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #9
Trustee

I bought one on Friday from one of our sponsors at a good price. Will add HDDs and NP1 battery as I can. 40GBs are about $140 each.
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #10
Trustee

Videoguys have a deal on FS-1s. A really GOOD deal. Now that I have mine in hand...
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #11
Regular Crew

NP1 Batteries

I am looking into the FS-1 and before I do, am wondering where do you find the NP1 batteries? I am trying to get an idea for total cost to implement one. Is the NP1 proprietary to Focus or is it a standard battery?
Also, I am looking at bus powered firewire drives. Do you know if the FS-1 can power the drive via the firewire port?

Last edited by Brian Burns; June 13th, 2005 at 09:02 AM.
Brian Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #12
Focus Enhancements

Hi Brian,

NP batteries are available from...

http://www.idxtek.com/products.htm

There is also a host of Asian manufacturers making NP batteries. NPs are not proprietary to Focus.

It is also possible to bus power a FireWire drive from the FS-1 FireWire port. You will need a drive that supports this however.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks Matt. I went to the site but when it comes to FS-1 and batteries I am a novice. You wouldn't happen to know a battery model # would you?

I just bought 2 x 100GB bus powered firewire drives!

Thanks,

Brian
Brian Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #14
Focus Enhancements

Any NP series battery should work.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Brian,
Where did you get your 100GB bus powered drives?

Anyone ever used a Li-ion NP with the FS-1? They are generally around 16.5 v when fully charged. The manual says 15VDC max and I checked with Focus and they said 15V is already %25 over the normal operating voltage of the FS-1.

thanks,
Matt

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore