FS-4 LED bug? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old August 20th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FS-4 LED bug?

Can anyone confirm an apparent bug in the FS-4 LED coloring? I'm using version 1.0.1.

1. I charge a battery until the LED goes green.
2. I remove the battery and the LED goes red.
3. I insert a second battery (which is discharged and needs to be charged) and the LED turns green.
4. I disconnect the power and then reconnect the power and the LED turns orange.

Step #3 is the part that caused me to lose 90 minutes of footage because I did not have a second charged battery. When I plugged in the second battery for charging, it immediately lit up green so I figured that it had charged up during some prior usage.

When I insert a discharged battery, I expect the LED to display the state of the battery, but it instead displays the state of the previous battery. Disconnecting and reconnecting the power resets the LED to the proper color/battery condition.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 09:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks for this info, David. Last night after an all day shoot I did exactly as you described and assumed the second battery was fully charged, as it had been on charge during our lunch break.

I will put it on charge again today as I have a big shoot tomorrow and wouldn't want to find out the hard way that the battery was not fully charged.

You may well have saved my shoot!

Mark
Old September 1st, 2005, 09:28 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Glad to hear it

I'm glad to know that I've helped someone, even if Focus Enhancements tech support has yet to respond to my e-mails of Aug. 23 and Aug. 25 with any assistance in this matter.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #4
Contributor

Hi you guys,

This is not meant to downplay this bug. I would suggest, though, always checking the battery status on the LCD battery status indicator. I know that that means powering up just to power down again.

Clearly one would expect the LEDs to be accurate.

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #5
Focus Enhancements

Confirming battery LED indicator behavior

Hello all (especially David Yuen)
First, let me apologize because our corporate web server crashed and we lost a couple of days of emails around Aug 25th - 27th, and we lost our tech support email archive for Aug 4 - 27. So David, we may have lost your emails before we got a chance to respond.

However, that said -- the FS-4 should as Daniel suggests, be power cycled with the battery installed before you trust the indicator LED for the currently installed battery. As our engineering staff told me, "the battery LED is OK after a power reset, and the battery indicator on the LCD is OK when the battery is not being charged."

Thanks,
Jim at Focus
Jim Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Please put this into the documentation

All I ask is that this be documented. I'm used to my Canon GL2 charger, where I can charge battery after battery and see the correct status without having to fiddle with the electrical plug or power up the GL2 just to see the battery status.
David Yuen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore