FS-5...to repair or not to repair at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Tourist

FS-5...to repair or not to repair

I've got a Focus FS-5 that I love - when it works. For the second time in two years of light use it has crapped out on me. The first time Focus didn't even want to cover it under warranty because I had a strip of velcro stuck to the back (they eventually did). This time they want $395 plus shipping to repair it.

So do I fix it and take my chances on better service in the future or trash it and get something more reliable. I'm just trying to get a general sense of others' reliability experience with the FS-5.
Tom Soik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: FS-5...to repair or not to repair

I have a FS DR-HD100 which is shoddy quality. The LCD is in really bad shape after 2 years of use, and there are odd bugs. When I am filming important things, I always run a tape as well.

My feeling is that it's not worth sending it in. I'll use it as long as I can read the LCD, then throw several thousand dollars worth out...

Poor quality.
Claude Mangold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2012, 06:40 AM   #3
Tourist

Re: FS-5...to repair or not to repair

I've had an FS-5 for a few years, they never did fix the bug that corrupts any files over 1h 21m even the two replacements had exactly the same problem so it was obviously built into it but they never acknowledged that. The whole point of buying it was to record conferences straight to QT!

Using small length files I've only had one corrupt file but as I don't trust it I always run a tape/disc at the same time.

I wouldn't fix it if it went wrong nor would I buy another Focus product.

Focus Enhancements

I quite fancy the Sound Devices PIX 240 which has had good reviews

PIX Video Recorders | Sound Devices, LLC
Claire Staniford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore