FS-5 v2 problem with m2t in Sony Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old May 6th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #1
Inner Circle

FS-5 v2 problem with m2t in Sony Vegas

I wonder if anyone who uses the FS-5 (I have the v2 version) could let me know whether they have experienced any issues with captured m2t clips in Vegas?

I shot a live performance recently and on dropping the footage on to the Vegas timeline, some of the clips seem to freeze after a few seconds and stay like that until just before the end of the clip when there is (sometimes) a burst back into life. The clip lengths are correct but it's as though the capture was paused a few seconds in and unpaused right at the end. Hope I'm explaining myself clearly. The sound also drops out at the same point and comes back at the end. Note this happens with some of the clips, not all.

What is odd is that the offending clips play fine in VLC Player and Windows Media Player (and they also open OK in After Effects), but it's just in Vegas that I am experiencing the problem.

I suspected the problem might possibly be with retro cache on the FS-5 as I was experimenting with it for the first time recently. Annoyingly I forgot to switch it off. This is only a guess though and it kind of doesn't sit well with the fact that I can see the clips in other apps.

Fortunately I recorded to tape as well but the performance went over an hour so I am missing the last portion.

Anyone got any ideas on what's causing the issue and how I might be able to get the clips to play nice with Vegas? Thanks.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: FS-5 v2 problem with m2t in Sony Vegas

Did you try using the copy/append trick with the m2t files on the Firestore and merging them into one big file? Sometimes when clips don't quite work the way I want or freeze as you describe it's because of the frames that seem to be shaved off in the gaps.
Jeremiah Rickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: FS-5 v2 problem with m2t in Sony Vegas

Thanks for the reply Jeremiah.

Actually I sold the Firestore last month as I have now (finally) upgraded to a fully tapeless workflow. I'm afraid I don't recall how or whether I resolved the problem but it certainly didn't include the tip you mention. I'll save that for when the guy that bought the Firestore gets in touch with problems ;-)

The problem went away after turning off the retro-cache feature so I assume that was the cause. As for getting the footage to work with Vegas, like I say, I can't remember whether I worked that one out!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore