GL2 & Firestore at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old February 6th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #1
Trustee

GL2 & Firestore

Can someone tell me if they're successfully capturing video without a tape in the GL2 while recording via Firestore? I've tried DV Control On & Off settings with all variations of slave modes on the Firestore but can't get it to record via the "rec" button on the camera.....anyone have working settings they can share?

Can you confirm you're starting and stopping video via the GL2's "rec" button???

Thanks
(this has been kicking my butt)
Old February 7th, 2003, 04:55 PM   #2
Trustee

Focus Enhancements Tech support tells me the GL2 will NOT do tapeless recording via the camera's "Rec" button- it has to be done manually via the Firestore's front panel (local mode- wont work in slave mode)

Slave Mode can work but there must be a tape present to record (I ripped out tape material to create a "dummy" tape- that didn't work- so I guess I'm the "dummy").........so no "Tapeless" solution for the GL2........sorta negates the benefit of using the Firestore......

bummed.

...waiting for the Quickstream DV to come out on 3 hr config.....according to MCETech it will work perfectly- let's see.
Old February 7th, 2003, 09:12 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Wow, I don't understand this... the GL2 should work with FireStore exactly like the XL1S... both have the "DV Control" ferature. I'll have to ask Canon USA about this.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 04:53 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

and the people from Firestore.....

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2003, 09:23 AM   #5
Trustee

Chris,

If they (Focus) give you some magical settings that they say would work- post them here- I'm anxious to hear what they tell you.

If you check their approved devices it lists the XL1 and GL1- not the XL1S and GL2....I don't know if there's a difference, but it seems the newer Canon's wont work tapelessly... at least in the GL2's case...don't know about the XL1S.

I know they all work with a tape inserted- but as a nature videographer- I often tape for an hour to catch 30 seconds of "useable action video", so a tapeless solution is what i'm looking for. Right now the Firestore isn't living up to what it's posted video promises, "tapeless solution to dv"....saddening as it's a product with great potential.

Note: I have the latest version (Firmware) that allows non-Fat32 HD's to be used and formatted with the FS itself....100% Mac friendly.
Old November 10th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #6

The newer XL1S does work with the FS-3, provided that you turn the "DV Control" in the vamera menu to "OFF". That means that you can start & stop the FS-3 from the REC button on the XL1S.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore