DR-DV5000 issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old June 20th, 2006, 12:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DR-DV5000 issues

Hi folks,
I have a DR-DV5000 unit on a JVC GY-DV5000 camcorder. I have two issues at this point and was wondering if anyone knows of these issues. First when the camcorder goes into record and the firestore starts recording (synchro record) there is a audible beeping sound that goes to both tape and HD. It is audible on ch1 & 2. I have the unit connected via the firewire (will update camcorder to 52 pin soon).
Also when I try to use another external HD the unit shows a no disk detected message. The drive is fat32 formatted from windows XP in a external adaptec firewire case.

Any takers,

Victor
Victor Matos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Focus Enhancements

Hi Victor,

Are you mixing different file formats on a single drive (e.g. QuickTime and OMF)? Sometimes this will cause a beep sound at the beginning of clips, but usually on disk only. Also, how old is your DR-DV5000? You may want to contact Focus support to make sure you have the latest software and firmware.

Also, always format external drives you wish to use with FS using the FireStore's own format feature.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2006, 07:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

How Do you?

Thanks Matt,

The sound is on both tape & Disk and all throughout the clips. Same format. I upgraded the software to the last issued. As far as formatting the drive, how do you format the drive when the unit shows no disk present & won't let me format or partition?

Thanks,
Victor
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:33 AM   #4
Focus Enhancements

Has the sound on the drive gone away? Also, how large is the drive in the Adaptec case?

Thanks,

Matt
Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

DR-DV5000 issue

Sound is still on the drive & tape. Inside the adaptec case I have a regular 40G HD. The case is USB & Firewire capable & has a power supply. On my computer I just plug either USB or 1394 and I can see the contents just like any other drive. It was formatted to FAT 32 under WIN XP. When I plug it to the Firestore the unit does not see the drive so I cannot format thru the Firestore.

Thanks,

Victor
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:53 PM   #6
Focus Enhancements

How old is this setup? If it is older, I woudl check with JVC and our own Focus support that you have the latest hardware mods. You should not be hearing these pops at the beginning.

As for the drive, confirm you are connecting it to the HDD I/O port on the side of the DR-DV5K. Then check to make sure that the HDD PORT is set to HDD in the SETUP menu.

Matt
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Matt,
Camera is a early (A) model. It has the software but not the 52 pin modification. All of the info goes into the viewfinder etc, but the camera doesn't have the cable inside to change the DV1394 signal from the back jack to the 52 pin connector. I dropped the Camera this morning at my local engineer type dude & he will do the mod (as per JVC). As far as the DR5k it is a 2004, I did the software update (latest). I was using the I/O port and tried all the HDD settings. NO GO. That's why I was wondering what kind of external drives people where using or is there any approved Focus units.As for the sound, I wish it was just pops at the beginning, the sound is a constant beep, just like a semi backing up.

thanks,

victor
Old June 22nd, 2006, 03:48 PM   #8
Focus Enhancements

Hi Victor,

If the camera was an early A model, make sure all the mods get done per JVC. They did have a mod that fixed a grounding issue on the rear audio connector. This may be the issue. Also contact Focus support to make sure your FS is up to date.

Regarding the drive, I cannot think why you are unable to connect. This should work. Again, check with Focus support.

Thanks,

Matt
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:49 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Matt,
Do you know what this ground issue was & what mod was made. I would like to tell the engineer working on the Camera.

Victor
Old June 23rd, 2006, 09:56 AM   #10
Focus Enhancements

Sorry, you may have to check with JVC service. I am not aware of all the details.

Matt
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:38 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for the effort Matt! This is what I have as today. My engineer finished the cable mod and now I can use the DR5K without the 1394 cable. The beep is still there. I called JVC about this sounds and the guy said that Focus has some sort of connector that goes in the second unused 1394 connector in the HDrive inside the DR5K. He says it helps grounding and Focus knows about this. Feels like smoke screen to me. I will send Focus a E-mail to see if they have any clues. Meanwhile I received a RMA from Focus to send the unit back for checkup.

thanks,
Victor
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:25 PM   #12
Focus Enhancements

I don't think the ground plug has anything to do with this, but I could be wrong. This plug does help grounding, but fixed an issue on some units where the DR-DV5K would not recognize the internal FS-HDD1 disk drive. Did JVC do the mod to the rear audio input on the GY-DV5K?

Thanks,

Matt
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:42 PM   #13
Regular Crew

JVC has not done anything to my camera. That's why I called them and they gave me that plug excuse. I had the internal cable modification done by a local guy. By the way I dropped it yesterday and got it this morning. Now I don't need the external 1394 cable. everything works except the audio has that noise and I can't recognize any external HDisks. I looked in one of your past posts and saw something about the rear XLR plug fix. Do you know what it entails?

Victor
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:50 PM   #14
Focus Enhancements

Victor,

I don't know, per my post to this thread earlier. Are you using an external mic connected to this port? You really need to log this with our tech support and JVCs (which I think you have already done). You should not be having the audio noise at the beginning of a clip.

Matt
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:59 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Yes external Mic, and not just the beginning but throughout the whole clip.
By the way I did send a audio clip to focus support.

Victor
Victor Matos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore