FireStore FS100 various topics - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old October 27th, 2006, 07:03 AM   #61
Tourist

FS-100 battery charging problems

Matt, I talked with Joe at support. I returned thw unit last night and he's overnighting a new unit back to me... thanks very much for your help and follow-up... love your products..!! Let us know when the version 3 (native format) upgrade is available..!
Rich

Theater is life - Film is art - Television is furniture…
Rich Raney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #62
Focus Enhancements

Will do Rich.
Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:29 AM   #63
Major Player

Can the FS100 record an HDSDI input signal with a Panny Firewire deck in the middle?

Odd request, and yes an expensive scenario - but it may serve as a temporary real-world option if it works.

What if you had a Panny Varicam feeding a Panny 1200 (with HDSDI & Firewire options) or 1400 deck (HDSDI/Firewire included) via HDSDI cable...

Could you plug a focus FS100 into the Panny deck (6 pin firewire), and record that incoming HDSDI stream as an HD .MXF set of files? Would need to confirm if the audio would be passed as well, or if you'd have to feed the audio to the deck externally as well.

I've done something similar in SD, running an switcher into a Sony DV record deck, and putting a Focus SD DTE in the firewire port of that deck - works fine.

I know it's not the most ideal scenario - especially considering that the new 'baby' varicam (900) & the 2/3" HD P2 cam are just coming out. Point is - I'm working with folks that have the Varicams - and soon the decks. We may be looking for an added recording/backup/productivity option on certain ocassions.

So essentially - can you use a $25K deck to cross convert an HDSDI signal to a $2K DTE device (stick the deck in a rack and record it that way in the field). I would assume if it worked, it would only record the stream as 60p - no native 24/30p, flagged frames etc - just 24p over 60p.

Just throwing it out there to see if it's been done, or if it would work in theory, or not at all...

Thanks.
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:25 AM   #64
Focus Enhancements

I have not tried this, but you can certainly play back a tape on a 1200A (I have a 1200A) or 1400 and record to FS-100 in MXF P2 format. It probably would be a good question to ask Panasonic...can you input an HD-SDI stream from a Varicam, record to tape and output a DVCPRO HD stream over 1394 simultaneously? Let us know what they say.

Matt
Old November 5th, 2006, 08:49 PM   #65
Major Player

Matt - I did some more experimentation concerning this:

Edius SP 4.10 (latest update) - using a 4x3 timeline, so I'm looking for letterboxing with 16x9 formats.

Recording with the Panasonic SPX800, via firewire to the FS100 (latest update from last week), DV mode, 16x9:

Importing the following files recorded from the FS100 maintain 16x9 aspect on the Edius timeline:

Raw DV
P2 DV

Importing the following files recorded from the FS100 come in as 4x3 aspect (even though the camera feeds it 16x9) on the Edius timeline:

AVI Type 2 (what I usually record DV streams as & what I reported above)
Canopus AVI
Quicktime DV

So - some maintain 16x9 in Edius, some go to 4x3. If they go to 4x3, I have to change the properties. I don't know how to do this in a global fashion, so it's kind of a pain.

Not sure what the deal is, or what can be done. I typically stay 4x3 when recording DV, but that day may change soon enough.

* Also - I purchased the smaller version of the bigger 2/3" Panny P2 cam as well - the SPC700. Can I assume that the FS100 will work with it as well if I stick a firewire card in it? It's 4x3/16x9 at 60i. Any confirmed tests or concerns?
Old November 6th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #66
Focus Enhancements

Hi Shawn,

The new 2.0.1 release of FS-100 fixes the DVCPRO 50 16:9 issue. The setting in the XML file was incorrect. I think that the DV25 file formats you mention do not currently support 16:9. Have you tried the P2 MXF DV/DVCPRO format?

We have not as yet tested the SPC700 with FS-100. I will check with our Panasonic contact.

Thanks,

Matt
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:20 PM   #67
Major Player

Just wanted to see if you had heard back about the SPC-700? It has arrived and I'd like to stick a firewire card in it if the FS100 looks like it will work.

Thanks.
Old November 16th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #68
Focus Enhancements

Hi Shawn,

Sorry for the delay, I am at DVExpo.

My Panasonic contact did say that FS-100 will work with the SPC700. You will be able to record from the cam and also playback and view the clips on the SPC700 LCD. Use these settings once the 1394 card has been added...

To control FS-100 for recording;
SYSTEM SETTING > OPTION MODE > 1394 CONTROL = BOTH

To play back the recorded clips from FS-100;
SYSTEM SETTING > SYSTEM MODE > REC SIGNAL = 1394
Note: this setting will be set to CAM (camera) as default when power cycle.

Matt
Old November 30th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Best way to convert FS-100 DVCPROHD Raw to P2 file format for FCP. Help?

Hi,
I have a customer who has accidentaly recorded a travel show (with an FS-100)DVCPROHD in RAW not the P2 setting. He should have recorded in P2 as post is FCP/MAC. Now he is trying to import into Final Cut Pro and the raw clips (of course) not working/importing.
Does anyone know what the simplest solution would be? I don't think this is something that can be converted in quicktime pro, but I'm not sure? (I'm only familiar with RAW DV for standard def as it's an .avi and can be converted in QTpro). Is raw in DVCPRO HD also .avi or
Otherwise is the only other solution to play out to a 1200/1400 deck...record DVCPROHD and then re-capture those clips in FCP?
Obviously he would like to avoid renting a deck.
Thanks for any help. I'm supposed to find an answer for him:-)
Cheers,

Brian
Brian Broz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 03:38 PM   #70
Focus Enhancements

I think I answered this on another forum...but here was my reply...

There is not a stand alone application that will convert FS-100 DVCPRO HD RawDV files to P2 files. I would recommend either dubbing the clips to a P2 card or dubbing to a deck and then ingesting to the NLE.
Old December 1st, 2006, 06:26 PM   #71
Regular Crew

Hi Matt,
Thanks for your prompt reply. Appreciate it!
I believe we've actually met at NAB...not that you'd remember!
I've passed on the information to my customer.
Regards,

Brian Broz
Brian Broz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #72
Major Player

Matt? FS100 vs. new Panasonic P2 HD cam - AJ-HPX2000

It looks like this little guy is about to come out and start shipping soon enough:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...del=AJ-HPX2000

I've been saving a couple of pennies here and there and look forward to its arrival soon.

It looks like the FS100 will be jiving with it, via firwire, much like the HVX200 and/or my SPX800.

Just wondering if there's any thought to the compatibility with the coming capability of the AVC Intra50/Intra100 codec options? Would/could the FS100 work/record the data stream if you're in an Intra50/Intra100 mode on the camera, or will it ever and only record DVCPROHD 100?

Good problems to have - just want to see what may be on the horizon, even if it's a flat-out 'no', or just a 'maybe'.

Any thoughts Matt?

Thanks.
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #73
Major Player

Matt? FS100 vs. new Panasonic P2 HD cam - AJ-HPX2000

It looks like this little guy is about to come out and start shipping soon enough:

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp...del=AJ-HPX2000

I've been saving a couple of pennies here and there and look forward to its arrival soon.

It looks like the FS100 will be jiving with it, via firwire, much like the HVX200 and/or my SPX800.

Just wondering if there's any thought to the compatibility with the coming capability of the AVC Intra50/Intra100 codec options? Would/could the FS100 work/record the data stream if you're in an Intra50/Intra100 mode on the camera, or will it ever and only record DVCPROHD 100?

Good problems to have - just want to see what may be on the horizon, even if it's a flat-out 'no', or just a 'maybe'.

Any thoughts Matt?

Thanks.
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #74
Focus Enhancements

Hi Shawn,

We have started looking at the AVC Intra format. Right now there is no concrete plans and we have not used the camera yet. So, at this point, I cannot really comment on this until we know more. Sorry.

Matt
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:38 AM   #75
Regular Crew

Good question. I am also expecting this camera...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore