Batteries for FS4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old July 7th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #1
New Boot

Batteries for FS4

I have an XL1s and use NP1 batteries for a light and would like to know if I can use the NP1 battery to also power the FS4...

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Bettendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #2
New Boot

The Power Bag Junior

Someone suggested the Power Bag Junior. powerbagjunior.com Has anyone here used this? If so, what do you think about it?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Bettendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The FS-4 probably takes the same power input as the FS-100, which is 15 VDC.

You might want to take a look at this battery:

http://tekkeon.com/site/products-mypowerall.php

The MP3400 can provide variable voltages up to 19 volts.

As to your first question, the NP1 is probably limited to 14.4 VDC (open circuit) but probably gets closer to 13 or 12 VDC with a load. Don't know how it might affect the Firestore but you probably want to stick to the recommended voltage requirement.
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:22 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui
The FS-4 probably takes the same power input as the FS-100, which is 15 VDC.

Don't know how it might affect the Firestore but you probably want to stick to the recommended voltage requirement.
While the Focus adapter outputs 15.5 volts, the battery is 11.1 volts - 850 mamps. Doing the math, the FS-4/100 draws about 6.5 watts per hour while recording. This means if you have the 40 gig hd, you will need about 25 watts to run 3 1/2 hours. If you have the 80 gig hd, your will need 50 watts of power to run the 6 1/2 hours available. You will have to allow for some idle and play back time during shooting so to be safe plan on needing at least 40 watts of power for the 40 gig and 65 watts for the 80 gig to be sure you have ample power to utilize the maximum available record time.

Your FS-4/100's battery pack will supply about 9 of those watts. The rest need to come from an external source. Also remember that when its' cold you must keep your batteries warm or you could run short of power. These numbers assume that the batteries(s) are fully charged before you start shooting.

Your milage may vary ......

Joe

http://www.powerbagjunior.com
Joe Matyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

For myself I decided to stick with the Focus battery packs. I got a couple of the largest ones. I was able to cover a 5-hour job with just one of those batteries and the FS-100 was running just about all the time.
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:04 AM   #6
New Boot

I shoot mainly live events and I can't afford to guess how much power I have left and when to change batteries. A few of my clients require 3-4 hours of continuous shooting with no chance to change out batteries. So with 10-1/2 hours of continuous portable power available to me - power management is one item I can check off my list of things to do while shooting.

Joe

http://www.powerbagjunior.com
Joe Matyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:59 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Joe...

Check with Focus Enhancements and see what they might have to say regarding voltage requirements of external power sources.

Better to be safe than sorry.

The Firestore gives an audible warning chirp which may or may not be heard when the battery is about to go down. And, depening on the situation, the 60 seconds needed to swap batteries and restart it -- and make sure it's responding to the camera -- may or may not be acceptable.

Good luck!
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #8
Focus Enhancements

Hi,

FS-100/-4 series units will run on DC voltages from about 10 to 17V. You will need to be greater than about 14V to charge the battery on the unit though.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Matt McEwen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore