FireStore reliability? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old January 30th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #16

a few days ago, someone with gap problems using FCP posted a work around. I think it was Danny Fye, but, I can't be certain. His recommended workaround is to copy the files from the firestore disk to your local hard drive, assemble the timeline from the clips and merge to a contiguous clip with something like Womble before bringing it into the editor. He claims this fixed the problem. Danny has been compaining that the problem is with the FAT32 file system on the Firestore.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:17 PM   #17
Major Player

Good to know. When I have some time later this afternoon, I will put a couple clips together, export them and drop them into vegas. I will post my findings later.

I ran some different tests last night with the Firestore unit itself, selecting different options for recording. No difference. I did reinstall Vegas 6 and there is still some funky stuff happening (like the audio drop out at the end of each clip), and contrary to what everything everyone is saying about the video being continuous, it's not. It's almost like there is an extra frame in there, but it is much more manageable and acceptable in 6 than in 7. Vegas 7 drops multiple frames.

It's really hard to tell where the proble is coming from. Some say it's a Vegas issue, but I don't think so as it does it with multiple applications. I personally still think it's a firestore issue, and if Focus Enhancements is going to advertise that .m2t is compatible with these NLE's, it really needs to be. Not only is it false advertising, but I think if someone were pist off enough about it, like ruining someone's very important video, FE could possibly be held liable for false advertising and neglegance.

I think FE needs to come up with a workaround, or do some extensive testing and reconfiguring of their software. Otherwise, issue a recall so I can go purchase something that actually works as claimed.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:31 PM   #18

Dunno where Matt McQuen(sp?) is from Firestore. He was monitoring these posts, but, haven't seen him chime in lately. Yes, I'm beginning to feel the problem is with Firestore, myself. Most of the funkiness seems to originate there.

You might be interested in playing with the software from Womble. Their editor is "frame accurate" in that it assembles and works with mpeg2 files and does cuts only at "I" frames.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #19
Major Player

I have been using the womble software with some success. The only problem is, I need to run an Unsharp mask over one of the cameras and I don't think womble handles those sort of tasks. I may have to bring each clip into vegas, run the effects, then re-render and then use Womble to cut it up. Not the workflow I had in mind, but I am thinking I will build a quad-core super fast computer later this week and hopefully that will save me a ton of time.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore