Question for Matt regarding .m2t files, clips, & dropped frames at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old January 29th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #1
Major Player

Question for Matt regarding .m2t files, clips, & dropped frames

Matt,
After reading through some stuff, I'm starting to put things together here.

Here's the scenario. I have an hour long event to record in HDV. The FS-4 will split those scenes up into something like 7 scenes or so. But putting them on the timeline, there are gaps between the clips - it appears to be just a couple of frames.

My question is, are the gaps caused by the splitting of the GOP? If so, shouldn't this have been something thought about before supporting .m2t files / hdv? At the end of a clip, if it is in the middle of a GOP, what is supposed to happen? I believe that is why I am losing frames between clips, thus causing me to have to sync everything up 3 times every 10 minutes.

Unfortunately, this means I have to sync everything over 100 times because of my 7 hours of filming and 3 cameras. Not so happy about this. And if I had known this, I would have started and stopped the cameras between acts of the show rather than have gaps right in the middle of the performances. Or just recorded in DV mode rather than HDV, cause thats where it's going to end up anyways for the time being.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #2
Tourist

Matt - .m2t files, clips, & dropped frames

I don't see a response to an earlier post on this critical issue:

Here's the scenario. I have an hour long event to record in HDV. The FS-4 will split those scenes up into something like 7 scenes or so. But putting them on the timeline, there are gaps between the clips - it appears to be just a couple of frames.

My question is, are the gaps caused by the splitting of the GOP? If so, shouldn't this have been something thought about before supporting .m2t files / hdv? At the end of a clip, if it is in the middle of a GOP, what is supposed to happen? I believe that is why I am losing frames between clips, thus causing me to have to sync everything up 3 times every 10 minutes.

Unfortunately, this means I have to sync everything over 100 times because of my 7 hours of filming and 3 cameras. Not so happy about this. And if I had known this, I would have started and stopped the cameras between acts of the show rather than have gaps right in the middle of the performances. Or just recorded in DV mode rather than HDV, cause thats where it's going to end up anyways for the time being.
Michael Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:15 PM   #3
Major Player

These types of reports are pretty much why I have not yet plunked down the $300 for an HD upgrade to my FS-4....

Just FYI, Focus
Matt Vanecek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Danny fye has posted a workaround for this - using DOS to copy all the files to one file from your Firestore, or it will work if you currently have the files on any hard drive. It combines all the files and you no longer have gaps between the scenes, nor does it lose any frames.

Here's the post:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ight=danny+fye
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore