DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Focus Enhancements FireStore (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/)
-   -   DR-HD100 various topics (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/focus-enhancements-firestore/86418-dr-hd100-various-topics.html)

Shawn Kessler March 15th, 2006 04:28 AM

DR-HD100 various topics

anyone heard the reason for the hold up on the firestore DRHD100??

Scott Cantrell March 15th, 2006 01:57 PM

Focus Enhancements has been having problems with dropouts and lost frames when recording HDV to their HDD. JVC is not excepting the product from Focus Enhancements until these problems have been fixed. No ETA has been issued as of yet for when the DRHD100 will be shipping.

Steve Mullen March 15th, 2006 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Cantrell
No ETA has been issued as of yet for when the DRHD100 will be shipping.

Yet, I've seen Focus ads claiming they have HDV support for almost half a year. Recording HDV from FW to disk is not rocket science! I'd love to know the real story.

Greg Corke March 15th, 2006 04:26 PM

The latest on issues

Well as you guys may or may not know I purchased the hdv firestore some weeks ago as the jvc model was not ready for the start of my project. You may also know that I had some initial problems with either the camera or drive unit when recording 24p hdv.

After extensive talks with both JVC and Holdan the Uk reps for focus I believe the problem is now solved and after sending the unit back to Holdan and getting a replacement I can also confirm that the capture issue lay with the camera. I have been down at tech support at JVC today after they had looked and updated various aspects of the camera and, touch wood, everything is now working as it should.

However, I did discover that there is not one particular firmware that will solve the problem/problems with the camera and it is this factor that I guess is causing so much confusion.

After speaking at length with the tech at JVC it seems that different serial numers require different upgrades of various kinds and I imagine therefore that all of us comparing firmware versions in the hope of finding some connection is almost futile. This also explains why some have experienced problems and others not.

Furthermore, it was also made clear to me that changing certain aspects in certain firmware versions can create more problems. I was told that this is the reason that JVC can't just send an update to end users to install themselves, in fact, every camera must be first assesd on it's own merits as it were and then the solution can be decided upon from there.

Additionaly, with regard to the firestore issue it seems that Focus may possbily write themselves out of JVC compatibility all together for the sake of the badged JVC product.

The problem here is that customers who have bought a firestore unit are, Like myself, going to be left fumbling back and fourth between the two companies trying too work out by a process of elimination why the unit is not working properly.

I have a solution now and all is working as it should but I just hope there are not too manty others that have to go through this involuntary beta testing. In my opinion these companies have got to start being a bit more upfront with the end users or they are going to alienate a significant portion of the market.

Greg C

Tim Dashwood March 15th, 2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Corke
However, I did discover that there is not one particular firmware that will solve the problem/problems with the camera and it is this factor that I guess is causing so much confusion.

Greg,

Hold your breath for a few days. I imagine the "A" firmware update everyone has been talking about is going to address your specific issues with the Firestore, and get the JVC/Firestore software in sync.

Greg Corke March 16th, 2006 11:26 AM

Thanks Tim

Thanks Tim,

Sorry I think my post may have been misleading. I believe i already have this upgrade both hardware and firware the camera is now working better than it ever has and the fire store also is now working perfectly. Mode changing no longer appears anywhere in the set up similar to your camera and other niggles also appear to of been addressed.

What I was trying to say in my post was that the thing I find a little dissapointing is that the companies involved sound like they are going to be reluctant to admit that these issues exist because of the fact that the firmware is not a standard upgrade across the board but an emalgumation depending on camera model and serial number.

I was lucking to deal with someone very very helpful at Holdan and I also live just a stones throw from JVC HQ in England so it was not as difficult as it may have been to liase with these guys and get results. My real fear is others won't be that lucky and I can only imagine for them there is going to be a lot of waiting and expense while cameras and hard drives are sent back and fourth until the issue is resolved.

I still love this camera I think it's even a minor revolution for indies but end users will only tolerate so much before they become disenchanted. I would just like the companies involved to acknowledge and implicate some kind of plan on how to deal with these issues rather than just sweep them under the carpet and pretend they don't exist.

All the best, Greg C.

Travis Surovcik April 4th, 2006 10:14 AM

In order for the DR-HD100 to work properly on the HD100U system, you need to have the (a) upgrade. The compatability of these products is one of the issues that was fixed in this firmware update.

Also, just to throw this out there, the DR-HD100 80GB drives are now available at ZGC for $1749 with free shipping included.

K. Forman April 4th, 2006 10:27 AM

Are you still getting 4:1:1 with this, or 4:2:0?

Travis Surovcik April 4th, 2006 12:18 PM

You get 4:1:1 in NTSC mode and 4:2:0 in PAL mode.

Stephen Knapp June 24th, 2006 05:22 PM

DR-HD100 firestore with a Sony?

I have a JVC GY-HD100U and I just bought a DR-HD100 to use with that. But I also have a Sony HDR-FX1 and wonder if I can use it with the DR-HD100. And special tricks or adjustments I would have to keep in mind?

Matt McEwen June 26th, 2006 12:45 PM

No, it will work fine with the FX-1. You must have a tape in the transport if you wish to trigger the DR-HD100 from the camera. Also, use the Syncro Slave control mode.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Steve Benner July 16th, 2006 06:40 AM

DR-HD100 and Quicktime 24

I set the HD100 to 24PA and encode in DV Quicktime 24. The files import fine and everything into FCP as 23.98 which is great, but if viewing the quicktime file, at the end there is a lot of color noise and no picture. Is this excess frames from the pulldown?

Matt McEwen July 17th, 2006 03:21 PM

Hi,

There should be a a fix available for this shortly.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Steve Benner July 17th, 2006 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
Hi,

There should be a a fix available for this shortly.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Do you know what it is then?

Matt McEwen July 19th, 2006 02:00 PM

Hi Steve,

Yes we do and it is fixed, but in beta test at this time. If you don't mind signing up to our beta test program, I can send you a copy.

Email me off line if you are interested.

Thanks,

Matt

Steve Benner July 19th, 2006 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt McEwen
Hi Steve,

Yes we do and it is fixed, but in beta test at this time. If you don't mind signing up to our beta test program, I can send you a copy.

Email me off line if you are interested.

Thanks,

Matt

Email Sent.

Stephen Knapp August 4th, 2006 07:56 PM

Matt,
Steve Benner, a JVC guy in this forum suggested I ask you about this.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=73001

That unit I reported buying in mid June in the first post of this thread still has not been delivered.

I've had an 80 gig unit on order since mid June from a reliable east coast vendor (ZGC) - and they can't get JVC to deliver. Chris, one of the ZGC reps keeps getting string-along notes from JVC about it, "Any day now..." Earlier this week they told me that my name was at the top of their fulfilment list and that two units were supposed to be coming in, and that I could expect fulfilment by Friday (today). No unit.

Earlier today I checked with another outfit in North Carolina who had advertised the same price, to see if they had any in stock. They didn't, and called back after a few hours and said that JVC isn't filling orders on these right now.

What's up?

Stephen Knapp August 7th, 2006 10:58 AM

Matt,

I just spoke with Chris at ZGC and she said the not only are there waiting lists for the DR-HD100 drives, but the FS100 for the Panasonic P2 cams are beaucoup scarce in the marketplace right now too. She laid the problem at the Focus Enhancements doorstep, and said they just aren;t delivering right now.

Can you clue us in on the problem?

Matt McEwen August 7th, 2006 04:09 PM

We have been filling orders for these products as quickly as possible, but demand has far exceeded our ability to manufacture enough product. We hope to have the current backlog of units cleared by months end.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Matt

Markus Bo August 11th, 2006 07:06 AM

DR-HD 100 Experience

Dear Folks,

I am to buy a DR-HD 100 (if available) and wanted to ask those who are already working with it. What about the experiance, the workflow and maybe some words from those who are using it with Avid Liquid.

Thanks

Markus

Steve Benner August 11th, 2006 09:14 AM

Here is my workflow (I do not have Liquid though):

FCP:
- Open the file in MPEG STREAMCLIP.
- Select either HDV 30 or AIC for the codec.
- Bring the Quality Slider to Best.
- Deselest the De-interlace check boxes.
- In the Frame Rate Box, enter 23.976.

In FCP use whichever Presest for AIC 30 or HDV 30 (depending on what you choose).

In the Sequence settings (Command 0), put the editing timebase to 23.98.

AVID Xpress Pro:

- Open the file in MPEG STREAMCLIP.
- Select Avid Codec DNxHD.
- Bring the Quality Slider to Best.
- Deselest the De-interlace check boxes.
- In the Frame Rate Box, enter 23.976.
- Next to DNxHD, you need to go into the options and select which quality and frame size you want to edit in (Either 1080 or 720, and one of the qualities).

In Avid, create whatever project type is correct with your frame size. Avid will quickly import the files, but it will also Copy them and transcode to MXF...it does this quickly because of the DNxHD. You can delete the original files after importing.

This seems like a long workaround but it is rather quick. The only time consuming thing is the conversion. You can also Batch Convert in MPEG STREAMCLIP.

Liquid may be able to handle the .m2t just by importing, but I am not sure.

Markus Bo August 11th, 2006 10:38 AM

Hi Steve,

thanks for your information. I suppose you are satisfied with the DR-HD 100 and it works stable?

Markus

Shawn Kessler August 27th, 2006 06:17 AM

connecting DRHD 100 to anton bauer hytron 120

As the title says how do I do this i know there must be a cable out there that asllows this. anyony?

thanks in advanced
shawn

Hart Boyd August 30th, 2006 04:31 AM

Here is a cable that goes from Power Tap to Firestore

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

If you don't already a Power Tap connector here is a universal solution:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Shawn Kessler August 30th, 2006 05:11 PM

DR cable

thanks hart looks like that will work fine. I already have the anton bauer setup
shawn

Albert Schuurman September 4th, 2006 03:48 AM

search for info at commands over IEEE 1394

Hoi furompupil.
I'm a Dutch mail of 66 jears en retired en have read the whole discussion on this matter. I doe a lot of video shooting and also mounting on the computer.
I seems that David has make a goed device. However, I search a lot time to the internet to find the commando's send viceversa from camera to device, (Mediaplayer, Capture devices, recorder, etc) But find notthing sofar. I fond this site well.
Mayby I used the wrong search strings. Can anybody gif me some clou where to look.
Thanks in advance and sorry for my english writing
Best reards
Ab Schuurman

Albert Schuurman September 4th, 2006 02:26 PM

search for info again

Howdy members,
I see that I have post my question on the wrong issue.
I thought I was on the tread for direct to disk recording solutions
So sorry.
However, when anyone can help me further out, please do
Best Regards,
Ab schuurman

Markus Bo September 16th, 2006 05:32 AM

Mounts for JVC DR-HD100

Eventually I ordered the DR-HD100 to save time but what I don't have very clear is the solution to mount the disk on the cam. I have the IDX-battery-mount and I know that they have a special adaptor to fit the HD but they want here in Europe 200 € and more for this adaptor. Please start telling how you did it cheaper and comfortable as well.

Regards

Markus

Matt McEwen September 18th, 2006 11:54 AM

The only mount available from Focus is the camera mount adapter, which allows you to mount the DR-HD100 to the camera's hot shoe. But if you have an IDX battery system, there FS-4/DR-HD100 mount is the way to go in my opinion as many people would like to use the hot shoe for other accessories. It will work with the cradle that came with your DR-HD100.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Markus Bo September 18th, 2006 12:25 PM

Thanks Matt,

I don't understand perfectly what you mean with the mount that comes with the DR HD but I will see if I can fix it using the two lateral wholes on the IDX-mount.

Markus

Matt McEwen September 18th, 2006 02:39 PM

The DR-HD100 ships with a cradle that features a 1/4" threaded insert which would allow you to mount to the IDX bracket.

Matt

Mark Sanford September 30th, 2006 08:08 PM

DR-HD100, re: assigning clips to reels

for Mr. McEwen -

I have thusfar been unable to successfully assign clips to specific reels in spite of a close reading of the manual (p.81)
When I mount the HD100 to my computer my recorded clips show up in an unnumbered folder separate from the default numbered ones. This occurs even though I can confirm on the LCD screen that the specified target reel is showing on the line above the FA function reel selection. This reel selection is made while the camera is in record, as per the manual.

Could you give me the proper protocol to make this handy feature work?
Thanks,
Mark Sanford

cam: JVC GY-HD100u

Matt McEwen October 2nd, 2006 02:25 PM

From what you describe, it sounds like you have not done the Organize Reel step (from the Utilities menu) prior to connecting to a computer. This actually takes you Reel markings and physically moves the clip to a folder.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Mark Sanford October 2nd, 2006 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=Matt McEwen]..it sounds like you have not done the Organize Reel step (from the Utilities menu) prior to connecting to a computer.

Matt -

Ahhh, yes, right there on page 82, plain as day.

Thanks for your help and prompt response.

-Mark

Bill Parker October 31st, 2006 03:50 PM

Timcode w/ dr-hd100

I'm having trouble getting my hd100 to send time code to the dr-hd100. I have the setting at TC Ext. on the dr-hd100 and TC Rec. on the hd100. When I record, the clips on the dr-hd100 start from zero while the clips on the hd100 are different. I'm either doing something wrong or it isn't possible. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Matt McEwen October 31st, 2006 06:41 PM

You need to press the DISP button which displays all of the different TC modes. Using the middle Function key on the DR-HD100 (top row, under DISP on the LCD), press the key until you see either TC 720p/XX or DV NTSC. This will display source TC.

Matt

Geoff Murillo October 31st, 2006 07:20 PM

Trouble getting my DR-HD100 to act as AV/C Device for FCP Capture

Hi Matt,

I've been trying to get Final Cut Studio to recognize my Firestore DR-HD100 as an av/c device so that I can capture my 720 24p m2ts into native QT HDV, but I'm having problems. Final Cut does not recognize my Firestore at all when I have it connected.

Can you tell me all the settings I need to have in place for Final Cut to recognize my Firestore for capture?

Thanks,

Geoff Murillo

Bill Parker October 31st, 2006 07:44 PM

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Bill Parker October 31st, 2006 08:49 PM

I just tried it as you suggested and the tc did follow although when I took it into FCP (via MPEG Streamclip), I lost it again (it started from zero). I've ordered the Quicktime HDV upgrade and I'm assuming that that will fix the problem, no? When it converts it to QT in the DR-HD100, I'm hoping it will include the tc information. Is that right?

Thanks.

Matt McEwen November 1st, 2006 01:01 PM

Yes, the QuickTime HDV (version 2.0) support does do a re-stripe of the TC so that it will match. I believe that MPEG Streamclip ignores the TC in the conversion, but I cannot be 100% sure. It has been a while since I have used it. But, you should be good to go with the 2.0 version.

Hope that helps,

Matt