Attempted 250GB hdd install in FS-4, failed - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old April 10th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Suero View Post
Hey Kit -
I was just wondering - is the upgrade a "straight up swap"? take one drive out and put the other one in? I'm just a little nervous opening up the case since it's been less than a year... also is this drive suitable?
http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2221594...PM%208MB%202.5

Thanks in advance for your help

Kris
Yes, it's just a straight up swap. I'm not going to get into the particulars of that because we have been over this a dozen times - do a search for fs-4 hard drive, you'll probably come up with everything you need on how to do it. Take your time, be careful, and make sure you put the right drive in (I have had success with Hitachi and Segate). Remember, once you do this, Focus will charge you big bucks to fix your FS-4 if anything goes wrong with it. Then again, not paying the extra $900 for the upgraded hard drive initially is definitely worth it in my eyes. That's highway robbery. Some techie didn't think we would notice or figure it out? Most of us are huge techies, FE! Don't play us for fools..........
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #17
Major Player

Just to let everyone know...

NAB is coming quickly and from what I've gathered, Bella USA will be making more announcements regarding their D2D communication device which allows swapping of usb 2.0 hard drives.

Here's what I've saved up to buy:
http://www.bella-usa.com/Catapult.htm

and a few of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136059

That ought to put Firestore out! YES! competition is good for the consumer!
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:02 AM   #18
New Boot

Thanks Kit - that's great news...

and Brent, you just threw a monkey wrench in my engine! lol - that new device looks like kick-azz - i'll check them out at NAB, i'll be there on monday!

kris
Kris Suero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #19
Inner Circle

forget about the catapult...
their website explain why.

"The interest in Catapult has been amazing. While we wish that we could offer great development news and even a release date, we are not able to at this time. The cause has been the engineering firm we hired for the project: as we progressed further into the project, it became clear that they were simply not capable of delivering what was promised

While we have ended our relationship with that particular engineering company, we are committed to Catapult and bringing it to market. We are looking at other avenues and engineering firms, and we will keep you updated on any progress."

in other words, they are not able to build one, they rent somebody that was not and i doubt they will find somebody who will.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #20
New Boot

wow so basically FS is the only "affordable" one in the market right now? man that sucks!!! oh well at least it does what I need it to do... lol
Old April 17th, 2007, 01:29 PM   #21
New Boot

Thanks Kit! It worked like a charm!!! now reads 400+ minutes (100bg drive) - thanks for all your help...
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #22
Tourist

Removable Drive for FS

You can kluge up a removable solution for the FS by using the LT-44 bay from Audavi. It attaches to the 44-pin cable meant for the normal HDD. You can then insert one of their cartridges (40GB upto 120GB), format and record as normal. When the drive is full you pop it out and replace with a new one. Drives are ruggedized and can be connected to PC or laptop for immediate editing. Same concept as QC Deck or Hitachi ZDR-1.
Mike Bergkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:37 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bergkamp View Post
You can kluge up a removable solution for the FS by using the LT-44 bay from Audavi. It attaches to the 44-pin cable meant for the normal HDD. You can then insert one of their cartridges (40GB upto 120GB), format and record as normal. When the drive is full you pop it out and replace with a new one. Drives are ruggedized and can be connected to PC or laptop for immediate editing. Same concept as QC Deck or Hitachi ZDR-1.
Could you be more specific? Provide a link?

I did a Google search and found a web page, www.hardtape.com

Is this the place that has this item?

I look at their poorly designed web page for the LT-44 and I can't find it anywhere. And since they don't have a search I can't search the model number either.

I looked at their store page, http://store.hardtape.com/nsearch.html which does have a search and search for LT-44 and it doesn't find anything.

Are you sure you have the correct model number? A Google search for LT-44 results in absolutely nothing close to what you are talking about.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com
www.vidmus.com/scolvs
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:18 PM   #24
Tourist

HardTape Bay - HTS-6500-BAY

Danny: On the store page for the IDE/PATA bay there is a connections drop down menu and you can choose the 44-pin option. http://store.hardtape.com/hts6500bay.html
Send a note to info@hardtape.com and they will send pictues and dimesions.

Mike!
Mike Bergkamp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore