Which model and what works best at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Focus Enhancements FireStore
Specifically for the FireStore DV Direct-To-Edit Disk Recording Solutions.

Old June 26th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which model and what works best

Hi all,
I was wondering what model of firestore would work best for a Sony PD170P, I notice they are all for HDV now. I also need to know if it can work completely tapeless, I don't want to have to drop tapes into the camera each time. I am under the assumption I need to start and stop the recording via the harddisk itself with this type of camera. I use two Sony PD170P's and have a Final Cut Pro 6 workflow on a Dual 2.3GHZ G5. If the firestore is no good, would it be better to get a citidisk?
Jamie Kehoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have an FS-4 Pro HD and it works just fine with my PD170. However, the PD170 does not appear to put out the control signals when no tape is in the camera.

I usually use the FS-4 in LOCAL mode, where you start and stop it from the FS-4 independent of the camera. I almost always run tape as a backup; however, I believe I ran some initial tests without tape and it worked just fine. (I suggest running a tape as a backup, just in case. You could even reuse those tapes.)

The one thing about the Firestores that bothers some people is that it breaks the files about every 8.5 minutes. However, the files joint together seamlessly (at least in DV mode) when they are put on the timeline.

Buddy
Buddy Frazer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Focus Enhancements FireStore