HDV to 35mm film at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old October 11th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV to 35mm film

Hello! In the coming months I may have the opportunity to shoot a 50 second spot for theatrical release. (!)

I have never been involved in a project like this and I've also never had to finish on 35mm film. Since I will have considerable budget limitations and because I am comfortable with the HDV workflow, I am considering shooting this project on HDV. Is shooting HDV for 35mm output relatively common? Are there any special considerations I've got to think about if I choose to work this way? Would it be significantly better to shoot on HD rather than HDV?

Thanks so much for your input. Again, I have virtually no experience in this area so any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

--Colin

Last edited by Colin Levy; October 12th, 2007 at 02:24 AM.
Colin Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2007, 05:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

dont worry be happy

hi
just shoot, but "THINK film"
avoid burn highlight and too contrast scene also dark scene

digital film group from canada has done some nice output. read their info.

many documentary i saw recently has varies source and blow up to 35mm.
it's in general, video has less dynamic range and not very sharp. but recent HDV/HD can produce very nice result if u tweak the dynamic range by making a "digital negative" a rather dull low contrast and no edge enhanced picture.

easy way to deal with post is output to TIFF or BMP
swisseffect has very good PDF about it.

JY
John Yamamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition