HD Lenses? Can you explain? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 07:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HD Lenses? Can you explain?

Stupid question:

How can a lens be HD vs. SD? Does it have something to do with the purity of the glass in the lens? Thanks for explaining.
Arturo Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 07:36 AM   #2

not so much with the purity of the glass as with the actual quality of the lens elements used(shape, number, coatings). Because of the higher resolution required for HD, lensmakers have to be more precise in the grind and prescription than for SD lenses.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Glass View Post
How can a lens be HD vs. SD?
It's determined primarily by the resolving power of the glass. But it's not simple -- in fact, the question you've asked is actually highly complex. The short answer is three words long and we can even abbreviate it to three letters:

Modulation Transfer Function or MTF

It's a characteristic of a lens and basically it's what separates SD from HD. Canon Broadcast has assembled an entire series of white papers which discuss HD lens design in detail and the importance of MTF in particular, all thanks to optics guru Larry Thorpe. These documents are available on the web at:

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/indust...tepapers.shtml

In particular you'll want to learn about MTF in the second paper of the series:

http://www.usa.canon.com/html/indust...March4th05.pdf

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Major Player

Chris:

I believe you really meant optical transfer function, which is the measurement of angular separation points as a function of frequency, or essentially resolving power.

The MTF is a measurement of contrast attenuation as a function of frequency for both the sensor and a lens system. This defines a lens to sensor contrast relationship critical for the perception of a sharp image.

Both are critical for a lens and sensor system.
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

All I can say is I'll bet a lot of our consumer camcorders would have produced better video if we had better lenses. My Sony Hi8 Handicam is a terrific machine that does a good job, close-in, and is still going strong. Too bad the lense was made from something that came out of a Cracker Jacks box! I'll bet just about any of the new low-cost hi-def tape camcorders produce better DV images than their DV only counterparts. The lens is very important!
Ken Jarstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #6

I really like the audio metaphor for this explanation.
Consider putting some very expensive Bang and Olefssen audio speakers on a dime store am radio. There's not much point in doing that because the radio will never provide these precision speakers with a quality audio signal.

It's the same with videocams. What's the point in giving them glass that can resolve more than the CMOS or CCD can resolve?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition