AE Shift a manual way of doing backlight compensation? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old November 18th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

AE Shift a manual way of doing backlight compensation?

That's basically my question, on the V1U (or any HDV camera) does the AE Shift option do the same as, but with more control, the Backlight option?
Arturo Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 04:47 AM   #2
Wrangler

I don't really use the auto settings on my cameras, but I think AE shift is pretty simple. It should just allow you to shift the exposure which camera automatically chooses either darker or lighter. I'm not completely sure what the backlight or spotlight function does since I've never used it, but suspect there's a little more going on than just shifting exposure up/down.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

AE shift is much smarter than the backlight and spotlight controls - the camera is still controlling the iris but AE shift lets you fine-tune the exposure as the lighting contrast changes. I have this feature enabled on my Sony HC7 and I wish my Sony FX1 also had it.

I record stage shows with the FX1 and have to manage iris, zoom, focus and audio levels and cope with sudden changes in lighting so I sometimes leave the iris on auto, although I still get overexposed faces under spotlights even with the Spotlight feature enabled.

AE shift would let me quickly tweak the exposure occasionally while the camera takes care of major changes in light level.
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 08:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Neal View Post
AE shift is much smarter than the backlight and spotlight controls - the camera is still controlling the iris but AE shift lets you fine-tune the exposure as the lighting contrast changes. I have this feature enabled on my Sony HC7 and I wish my Sony FX1 also had it.
There is AE shift control on the Sony FX1 and Z1U in the Picture Profile settings. At a friend's suggestion I've set my six picture profiles to have the same basic settings with just the amount of AE varying between them, starting with no AE on the first profile up to +3 for the fourth one, then -1 and -2 on profiles 5 and 6. If you haven't experimented with the picture profiles yet, check 'em out.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition