Will not having 'behind the scenes' sink me? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old November 20th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Will not having 'behind the scenes' sink me?

I have been working hard for months on my first short films, and I'm wondering if not having behind the scenes footage etc on the DVD will make it hard to get anyone to care. Seems people pay more attention to how a film is made rather than the film itself. We have fight choreography progression videos and such, but no behind the scenes, don`t have anyone to run a camera for it since the crews are tiny. Have I shot myself in the foot?
Old November 20th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If you're talking about short films, the usual place you're trying get attention is the festival circuit and there the selectors don't watch the behind the scenes videos, only the films.

If you've made a good short, no one cares about the behind the scenes. It only really works on a feature film that has enough substance to make a behind the scenes film worthwhile.

I know a series of short films made each year by a group and they also put together a behind the scenes film. But it's really only of interest to the filmmakers and their friends and they had a good laugh at the screening.

However, having good publicity stills is important. It's surprising how these are forgotten and producers have to grab frames from the film.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Brian is right. It's the publicity stills that will bite you if you've forgotten them. Most festivals will want some high quality stills. Frame grabs might work, but it's always better to grab some stuff on the set.

Don't worry about BTS footage on shorts. It's of interest only to other filmmakers and friends and family, for the most part.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Major Player

whew good to hear. Yea I had an SLR toting guy on the first film around set, the second short just using my old sony digital camera, hoping to get my friend with the slr back for the third. And hoping to get in some separate green screened 'character portrait' pics with him as well. Thanks for easing my mind guys. While ideally I`d like to do BTS its just not going to happen with my skeleton crew
Old November 20th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Major Player

The behind the scenes thing was something that got started in the early days of DVDs as a marketing gimmick to help sell DVDs when they seemed kind of expensive . . . and it's still a selling point for more expensive DVDs or sets of DVDs . . . the lack of such a video on a short film is not likely to hurt you
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition