Future Direction of HD Stock Footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old December 5th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Future Direction of HD Stock Footage?

Hi everyone, just putting this question out there, where is HD stock footage going in the semi-near future? (2-5 years) I'm curious to see what the current opinions out there are..or inside knowledge wink wink! Are things going to go the way of 4:2:2+ colour space, and/or move away from mpeg-2 towards mpeg-4?

Just a few crumbs for your thoughts!
Jeremiah Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Right now it looks like there are more people & companies trying to sell stock footage than there are people & companies wanting to buy stock footage.
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #3
Major Player

I've found that my clients want HD in just about any flavor so long as it's HD. I specialize in underwater work so most of my deliveries are sourced from HDV. My SD stock requests have all but disappeared. Obviously the better quality HD you can provide XDCAM/HDCAM, etc. is preferred but if the shot is what they want they'll take BetaSP, etc.
Rick L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah I figured that, I have a friend who has a stock site, and knowing what things to shoot has always been the most important thing, but now what camera to get/wait for to future proof his own footage is key. Essentially longevity of the footage format is under question...interestingly he recently had a request for RED footage.
hmmm
Jeremiah Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Major Player

If you wait for the "future proof" camera you will always be waiting. Discovery, etc. like the XDCAM HD and Varicam at least. I'm sure everyone would love Red 4:4:4 but really how many stock inquiries will you get for it? I've got 15 years of footage that's been obsoleted but at the same time I still sell footage from that same old SD collection.
Rick L. Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition