Gradual White Balance Control at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old December 9th, 2007, 09:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Gradual White Balance Control

Hi there
After often setting white balance either auto or manually I often want to tweak what I see on the screen a little. I have only shot on consumer type cameras (now HV20) and was wondering if the bigger cameras allow for a GRADUAL white balance control????.....or is this only possible in post? just a nirking question really.....
Ben Hillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The traditional "gradual" white balance control is to hold a 1/4 CTB lighting gel (or other strengths as required) in front of the lens when doing a white balance, to fool the camera into giving you warmer image.

You can also get warm up white balancing cards.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Trustee

Many cameras have this function.
I do it with my Canon XH-A1 all the time.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Actually they don't. The A1, G1 ad H1 are the only HDV camcorders that I know of which allow for a live shift in WB. If there is another camcorder out there that works in the same way, I'd like to know about it.

The issue however is that this is only possible within a preset WB settings (3200 or 5600 preset).

Another option is to use the Kelvin count and dial up or down as you see fit. I find this to work the best, however it depends on how you've set up your scene files as to how this will respond to the light/colour coming in.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #5
Trustee

He didn't specify HDV cameras, and many pro cameras not only allow you to do this, but also have a display on the viewfinder that show the color temp #.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:56 AM   #6
Major Player

The Z1 allows control of the "outdoor" preset, though I'm not sure if you can do this while live using this.

However! Using the program function to set the WB and whatever else you would like to control, allows a programmable way to press a button and smoothly change between settings. You will, however, want to program this BEFORE you start recording!

Carl
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:11 PM   #7
Major Player

I know that my Sony Betacam camera has a function called ATW which stands for Auto Tracking White balance (I think that what the initials mean). Sony used an example of shooting talent outside in bright sunshine and them following him inside to 3200k lighting and it gradually shifts the white balance as you continue shooting. It never worked as good for me in reality as it did in their demo video, however. But it does work.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 10:14 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
He didn't specify HDV cameras, and many pro cameras not only allow you to do this, but also have a display on the viewfinder that show the color temp #.
Of all the cams discussed in this forum it isn't a common feature, so I think he is probably right in this context.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:04 PM   #9
Major Player

As mentioned the the Sony Broadcast cameras (D35, D50, D55 and XDCAM HD have ATW or auto tracing white balance (basically auto white on consumer cameras). The XDCAM HD also allows you to set different white balance settings on the A & B settings and then via a menu setting to make a soft change between the two when you flip from A to B or vice versa.
Rick L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #10
Major Player

The Z1 allows scene changes from A to B gradually as well, Rick. :)
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:07 PM   #11
Major Player

I always thought every camcorder had this function (but I never used it *g*)
I knew the ATW from the Sony D30/35/50 and I always assumed when setting the DVX100 or HVX200 to full auto they'd also use fully automatic white balance. Now I'm not so sure anymore they do... gotta try that tomorrow.

The JVC GY-HD110 has Full Auto White (FAW) that can be assigned to any of the A, B or preset buttons. It also has a function called "smooth transition" that makes just that, a smooth transition when you switch between w/b presets or gain settings. Only used that camera once, but I've been studying the manual closely because we had rented three for a shoot, and I was chosen to explain the camera to everyone else and be the culprit if anything went wrong, LOL

*Edit* I just re-read the initial question and I think Ben meant a manual gradual change of white balance. I know that in the Sony DXC D35 and newer you can at least gradually change the presets in 100K steps, and as far as I know the Sony Digital Betacam models also allow for manually changing the A or B setting (let's say you w/b, it shows 3800K and you can change that to 4000K if you like). They also have in-camera keying and whatnot.
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition