1080i and progressive post & slowmo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 15th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #1
New Boot

1080i and progressive post & slowmo

Hey guys,

Ok, I am about to start filming a windsurfing movie. Its going to be filmed with a Canon XHA1 and a HV20. It will be recorded as 1080i in both cases.

The biggest problem I have is that windsurfing action contains extremly high motion in the photage. Moving ocean, fast tricks, zooming etc.

I will do a lot of slowmotion in post.

The final output needs to be suitable for both TV and Internet, 2 different exports of course. I do not really care if the final TV version is SD instead of HD. This is since I beliave that scaleing down a de-interlaced file must look better.

My question is now which workflow I should use.

Premiere, AE are the programs
Plugins: Twixtor, fieldskit, cineform (maybe a decklink extreme, what u think?).

Import as 1280x720i (cineform) edit everything as interlace throughout all production, and then scale down for and de-interlace for Internet, and also on scale down (but keep interlace) for TV? Problem is that Twixtor works better with progressiv raw material.
And in that case, how the hell do I do a good de-interlacing? My high motion photage is very hard to deinterlace. Is interpolate the only way, and in that case where and how do I do it the best.

I tried to capture with cineform as 1280x720P but that de-interlace uses blendmode as de-interlace and it happens way too much between my frames, so if I pause and check a frame it is all blury.

Anybody with some good ideas?

Thanks

Peter

Last edited by Peter Svensson; February 16th, 2008 at 06:30 PM.
Peter Svensson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Peter,

If you can afford one, try a Matrox RTX2 HD board. It makes really nice slowmo's with interpolation and does that in realtime, even in HD.

It really benefits to HD editing, scaling and exporting.
It give's you realtime full HD monitoring on a inexpensive 24" LCD screen through DVI and you can also monitor on a normal LCD tv through the analogue component breakoutbox.

Check matrox website for more details.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 07:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Peter,

I am using AE with excellent results from my XLH1 : Shoot 1080i import
into AE as 1080i / When dropped in Comp the footage will be housed as P(F)

Use the standard time stretch tool and output as P.

Obviously the correct shutter speed will contribute.
Herman Van Deventer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition