Any HDV camera that records to memory cards? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:18 PM   #1
Major Player

Any HDV camera that records to memory cards?

I am looking for a small and light HDV camera (MPEG2) that can record on memory cards - not AVCHD (which uses MPEG4). I understand that all HDV cameras are tape based today. ... Are there any that uses memory cards (Compact Flash, Memory Sticks, etc) ...
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

They aren't what I'd call small and light, but the HVR-Z7U and HVR-S270U will record HDV to CompactFlash cards.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 02:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Don't forget about the Sony PMW-EX1. It shoots full raster HD (1080@24p/25p/30p/50i/60i) on 1/2" CMOS ans records to SxS ExpressCard solid state memory and it is Sony CineAlta...

There's a whole seperate forum on/for the EX1 available here...

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 03:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks ... but, way too expensive. I am thinking of something along the lines of US$1K to US$1.5K to backup my HVX202 - but these Sony's are too heavy as a backup. They are as big as my present HVX202.
Old February 23rd, 2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The JVC GZ-HD? cameras record mpeg2 to a hard drive. They have a mode that is HDV compatible.
Eric Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Larson View Post
The JVC GZ-HD? cameras record mpeg2 to a hard drive. They have a mode that is HDV compatible.
Can you say "Work Flow Problems" and "Poor Video." That's mainly what you get with the JVC GZ-HD7. Plus, a hard drive is much different than a compact flash.

Unfortunately, it's unlikely that you will see an HDV compact (currently consumer models) camcorder with a flash drive. Most companies have opted the AVCHD codec for that task. In the prosumer world, Sony is banking on a hybrid system (record to tape and flash) to give them an edge with their new Z7 and S270 camcorders.

In my opinion, I don't forsee a sub $2k compact HDV camcorder recording to flash. I think they want to continue to further the AVCHD camcorders for that task, and leave HDV as a tape unit for those who prefer tape over flash.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 08:18 PM   #7
Major Player

AVCHD (MPEG4) is worse than HDV (MPEG2) ... I think I will definitely stick to my HVX202 in that case. No backup is better than a backup that takes bad videos.
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong View Post
AVCHD (MPEG4) is worse than HDV (MPEG2) ... I think I will definitely stick to my HVX202 in that case. No backup is better than a backup that takes bad videos.
Well, right now, anyway. We don't know what's in store as far as higher bit rates and better image processors. We do know that Sony and Canon are implementing a higher 17 mb/s mode. Of course, I don't think we are going to get away from the worse-than-hdv motion artifacts unless maybe the newer enhanced mode finally surpasses hdv, quality-wise. Who knows? Maybe one of these new cameras from Sony or Canon will be up to par. The only way to tell is to test it.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition