Frame rates for sports / global distribution issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old March 7th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Frame rates for sports / global distribution issue

I'm about to record a sports video, but I still don't know what frame rate to use. I'm using three v1u's for the shoot, and the final output will be for both SD (NTSC & PAL), as well as blue ray.

I was originally leaning towards 30p but after doing some research I discovered that it doesn't convert well to PAL. A few threads suggested 60i was a better choice, but wouldn't 24p be better for fast moving objects?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Nathan DuMoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

No 24P is the worse for fast moving subjects. The faster the motion the faster the frame rate needs to be so 60i is your best choice or 60p if you have it but for V1 60i would be the best.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input Ron. I had just mention the 24P because of the progressive scan.

Is 30p really that bad for converting to a PAL signal? Has anyone tried it first hand?
Nathan DuMoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:31 PM   #4
Tourist

Progressive is definitely better for movement. The V1U scans in 60p, but unfortunately only records in 60i. 60i would probably be your best bet, although, 720/30p wouldn't be too bad.

It's up to you, slower frame rate in progressive, or higher frame rate in interlaced.
David Lu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition